Victor Hugo collection auctioned off for $4.2 mnApril 5th, 2012 - 1:11 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, April 5 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Christie’s has sold a group of more than 400 books, paintings, letters and other items from personal collections of French writer Victor Hugo and his descendants for 3.2 million euros ($4.2 million), the auction house said in a media communique.
The items included photographs, furniture and personal objects related to the life of Hugo, his son Charles, grandson Georges and great-grandson Jean. The collection was initially estimated at 1 million euros ($1.3 million).
The auction attracted bidders from 12 countries, including the Victor Hugo Museum in Paris and the National Library of France.
The most expensive lot was Victor Hugo’s drawing entitled Souvenir de Belgique (Memory of Belgium). Estimated at between 50,000 euros and 80,000 euros ($65,000-105,000), it was sold to an unidentified European art gallery for 409,000 euros (some $540,000). The drawing, which perhaps evokes the memory of a Flemish landscape, was painted by Hugo in the 1850s.
- Hitler's paintings to be auctioned in Sweden - Nov 08, 2011
- 19th century painting sells for record $5.2 mn - Apr 26, 2012
- Russia seeks 900 stolen artworks via Interpol - Dec 29, 2011
- Belgian wins 15 mn euros in lottery - Sep 17, 2011
- Russia's external debt down 10 percent to $36 bn - Mar 01, 2012
- Tintin cover fetches record price - Jun 03, 2012
- 'Putin-Mona Lisa' portrait sold for $300,000 - Oct 01, 2011
- Apple founding document auctioned for $1.59 mn - Dec 14, 2011
- North Korea to get $100 mn for Russian gas transit - Nov 17, 2011
- Thieves in Moscow replace $700,000 with fakes - Dec 27, 2011
- Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' jacket to be auctioned - Jun 26, 2011
- Sotheby's Russian art sale totals $13.6 mn - Apr 23, 2010
- Putin calls for auction sales of strategic deposits - Jul 10, 2012
- Ex-Austrian emperor's underwear sold for over $8,000 - May 10, 2012
- Rare Napoleon letter sold for $400,000 - Jun 12, 2012
Tags: 1 million, 1850s, auction house, belgique, belgium, bidders, christie, descendants, european art gallery, flemish landscape, french writer, museum in paris, national library of france, paintings, personal collections, personal objects, photographs, ria novosti, victor hugo, victor hugo collection