Venus stops Serena, claims fifth Wimbledon title (Lead)July 5th, 2008 - 11:27 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 5 (DPA) Holder Venus Williams won her fifth Wimbledon title Saturday with a 7-5, 6-4 defeat of sister Serena in the third sibling title showdown at the championships. With this, the 28-year-old elder sister snapped a run of five consecutive losses in major finals.
Venus last beat Serena in a Grand Slam singles final in their very first encounter, back in 2001 at the US Open.
Venus recovered from a break down in each set to win in one hour, 50 minutes when Serena hit a groundstroke wide. Her earlier titles at Wimbledon were in 2000, 2001, 2005 and 2007.
It was her seventh title overall at the majors. While the overall series is now tied at 8-8. Serena still holds a 5-2 edge in Grand Slam finals.
“I say great match to Serena,” said the winner of the first all-American final in a major tournament since 2005. “I can’t believe I’ve got five Wimbledon titles.
“In a final against Serena, that seemed so far away from the first point. It was such a tough task to beat her.”
Venus was playing her seventh Wimbledon final in nine years since the start of the century, and improved to 7-6 in career Grand Slam finals.
“It’s unbelievable, especially with some of the injuries I’ve had,” said the winner. “I’ve had the chance to perform well and make history.”
But she added - perhaps feeling Serena’s pain: “My first job is big sister, and I take that very seriously.
“My parents are proud - but I’d like to thin they wanted me to win,” she laughingly quipped.
Serena got quickly out of the blocks after sunshine following early morning rain, taking a break in the opening game.
The 2002 and 2003 champion followed up with a love game before her elder sister got into harness.
Venus managed to stem the tide in the eighth game with a break-back for 4-4, then tightened the screws on her sibling in a tricky wind.
The elder sister claimed the opening set after 53 minutes when Serena hit the net with a backhand return.
In the second set, Serena took a 2-1 lead with a break in a 14-minute game which required 21 points, only to lose the lead with a break-back by her sister a game later.
Venus wrapped up the win with a winner to the corner to produce a pair of match points in the tenth game.
Serena saved the first with her ninth ace but put a forehand wide to lose.
“She was a little better today and things didn’t work out like I’d planned,” said the losing finalist. But it was definitely a great celebration for our family, we’re really happy.
“I’ve been working really hard and fighting for everything - at least one of us was able to win,” she joked.
“Venus played great this year, and we were glad to be in the finals again.
The pair was due to take to the doubles court later Saturday for the final against American Lisa Raymond and Australian Samantha Stosur.
“Serena deserves a win, so I’m going to try hard to get her one,” said Venus.”
- Record-equalling number of tennis siblings in Olympics - Jul 25, 2012
- Dominating Williams wins fourth Wimbledon title (Lead) - Jul 03, 2010
- Williams sweeps to Wimbledon title over Zvonareva (Second Lead) - Jul 03, 2010
- Serena saves Williams pride as Venus knocked out (Lead) - Jun 30, 2010
- China's tennis team faces uphill task at London Olympics - Jul 09, 2012
- Serena Williams loses in first round first time - May 30, 2012
- Serena Williams wins fifth Wimbledon singles title - Jul 07, 2012
- Serena turns tables on Venus for third Wimbledon title - Jul 04, 2009
- Djokovic pips Nadal to win longest Grand Slam final - Jan 29, 2012
- Sharapova proud of her Russian origin - May 30, 2012
- Win at French Open shows ny determination: Sharapova - Jun 10, 2012
- Clijsters coasts to third US Open title - Sep 12, 2010
- Zvonareva aims to upset Williams in Wimbledon final - Jul 01, 2010
- Wimbledon: Sania-Elena seeded fourth, Paes-Bhupathi third - Jun 15, 2011
- US Open: Wozniacki-Serena semifinal, Zvonareva falls - Sep 09, 2011
Tags: big sister, consecutive losses, early morning rain, eighth game, elder sister, first encounter, first job, grand slam finals, love game, majors, match, nine years, screws, sibling, sister serena, title showdown, venus williams, wimbledon, wimbledon title, wimbledon titles