Venezuela’s Chavez hands over book to Obama with `warm regards’April 19th, 2009 - 12:28 pm ICT by ANI
Port of Spain (Trinidad and Tobago, West Indies), Apr.19 (ANI): Venezuelan strongman Hugo Chavez who once famously referred to former US President George W Bush as “the devil,” put his animosity towards Washington on the backburner and presented gifts to Bush’s successor Barack Obama on the sidelines of the fifth Summit of the Americas meeting here on Saturday.Chavez presented Obama with a copy of a book called “The Open Veins of Latin America: Five Centuries of the Pillage of a Continent”. The book is a famed Uruguayan journalist’s treatise on foreign exploitation of the region.
Chavez said he signed it, “For Obama, with warm regards.”
“It’s an extraordinary book that helped me understand Latin America when I was young, our history, our reality,” said Chavez, who apparently gave Obama a copy of the book in Spanish - a language he doesn’t speak.
It wasn’t clear whether Obama would delve into the tome soon, if at all.
“I thought it was one of Chavez’s books. I was going to give him one of mine,” Obama said. (ANI)
- Chavez speaks of 'good start' in ties with Obama - Apr 19, 2009
- Chavez's gift to Obama becomes bestseller overnight - Apr 19, 2009
- 'Reader' Obama terms Chavez book gift as 'a nice gesture' - Apr 20, 2009
- Chavez not the first to discover book that he gave to Obama - Apr 25, 2009
- Gadaffi accepts Chavez's mediation offer - Mar 03, 2011
- Oliver Stone admires Hugo Chavez - May 30, 2010
- South American presidents hail dialogue with Obama - Apr 19, 2009
- US open to restoring diplomatic ties with Venezuela, says official - Apr 21, 2009
- Replica of Bolivar's sword presented to fencing champ - Aug 09, 2012
- Chavez threatens to veto final declaration of OAS summit - Apr 17, 2009
- Venezuela's Chavez back in the public eye - May 24, 2012
- Chavez back in Cuba for cancer treatment - Mar 26, 2012
- Chavez back in Cuba for more surgery - Feb 26, 2012
- Summit of the Americas opens in Trinidad and Tobago - Apr 18, 2009
- I'm soaring like condor after surgery: Chavez - Mar 01, 2012
Tags: animosity towards, backburner, barack obama, george w bush, hugo chavez, open veins of latin america, pillage, port of spain, port of spain trinidad, port of spain trinidad and tobago, president george w bush, s books, sidelines, strongman, summit of the americas, tobago west indies, trinidad and tobago, uruguayan, us president george, warm regards