Venezuelan troops seize cement plantAugust 19th, 2008 - 2:19 pm ICT by IANS
Caracas, Aug 19 (DPA) Venezuelan troops seized a cement plant owned by Mexico’s Cemex SAB after a deal to nationalise the firm failed.Troops occupied the Maracaibo Cemex plant in the western state of Zulia Monday night, but plan to take control of all four Cemex plants in Venezuela Tuesday.
“At midnight, we are going to take operational control of Cemex’s installations, and from that moment, the expropriation decree takes effect,” Energy Minister Rafael Ramirez said Monday night in Caracas.
President Hugo Chavez announced in April that he would nationalise the cement industry after nationalising power, telecommunication, oil and steel companies since last year.
In June, he issued a decree giving Venezuela’s top three foreign-owned cement companies - Mexican, French and Swiss firms - 60 days to negotiate handover agreements that would give at least a 60 percent controlling share of each firm to the government.
Venezuela obtained an 85 percent stake in Switzerland’s Holcim Ltd for $552 million and an 89 percent share of France’s Lafarge SA for $267 million. The government said Cemex was asking for too much in its negotiations.
Cemex, which accounts for half of Venezuela’s total cement production, would receive considerably less than the $1.3 billion it was seeking, Ramirez said.
Chavez justified the takeover of the foreign-owned cement plants by saying Venezuela needs a large national cement company to build housing for the poor.
Extending his socialist agenda, Chavez announced Monday that he would soon take over the Bank of Venezuela “for the good of the people” from its Spanish owners, Grupo Santander.
- Venezuela nationalises steelmaker - Nov 02, 2010
- Swiss company to sue Venezuela over nationalisation - Mar 23, 2009
- Venezuela's Chavez threatens to seize bank - Jan 27, 2011
- Japan, South Korea plan big oil investments in Venezuela - Apr 30, 2012
- Venezuela, Argentina sign 25 accords - Apr 21, 2010
- Venezuela boosts oil sales to China - Aug 14, 2012
- Venezuelans protest against US sanctions - May 26, 2011
- Russian firm to operate two oil fields in Venezuela - Apr 13, 2012
- Italian oil giant to invest $7 bn in Venezuela - Jul 16, 2011
- Venezuela nationalises retail chain - Jan 19, 2010
- Venezuela releases US ship, skipper (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Venezuela releases US ship, skipper - Sep 12, 2012
- Venezuela to nationalise two troubled banks - Dec 04, 2009
- Venezuela to invest $45 bn to build, maintain refineries - Oct 01, 2011
- Chavez takes to Twitter after surgery - Mar 02, 2012