Venezuelan jail inmates release 200 visitors taken hostageJuly 1st, 2008 - 1:25 pm ICT by IANS
Caracas, July 1 (IANS) Inmates of a Venezuelan prison who had taken some 200 visitors hostage to protest poor amenities have released the captives, EFE reported Tuesday. The government Monday announced the release of the people following “successful negotiation with the disgruntled prisoners”, and said it was “awaiting their arrival”
The agitating prisoners of the Los Andes prison, 700 km west of the capital city prevented June 22 more than 200 visitors to the jail from leaving at the end of visiting hours to press their demand for speedy trials and better treatment by the guards, among other things.
Deputy minister Tarek El Aissami told the state-run Venezolana de Television, that the government had promised to “improve the condition in the jail” and take measures to expedite court trials.
The prisoners, many of whom were being held in the facility pending trial, had demanded that authorities speed up those proceedings, along with ensuring better treatment of inmates by the guards.
The Los Andes protest followed the agitation at southern Venezuela’s Vista Hermosa prison where more than 300 people visiting their relatives decided to remain inside the facility to force authorities to expedite the cases of the under trials at the jail.
Overcrowding, poor living condition and bad sanitation are some of the major problems in Venezuelan jails.
- 4,000 Venezuelan prisoners on hunger strike - Sep 04, 2010
- Eight killed in Venezuela prison brawl - Aug 19, 2009
- Five accused of sex crimes slain in Venezuela prison - Jan 03, 2012
- 43 hurt in uprising at Chile prison - Dec 23, 2010
- Over 20 killed in Venezuela prison fight - Aug 21, 2012
- 25 killed in brawl at Venezuelan prison (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Venezuelan killed by stray shot from prison - May 10, 2012
- Venezuela prison brawl toll rises to 26 - Aug 24, 2012
- Inmates' relatives occupy two Venezuelan prisons - Feb 17, 2010
- Venezuelan inmates hold 700 jail visitors hostage - Jan 08, 2012
- Three killed in Venezuela prison riot - Sep 28, 2010
- Venezuela doesn't believe it needs more jails - Sep 28, 2011
- Venezuela exhumes Simon Bolivar's remains - Jul 18, 2010
- Punjab jails crammed 150 percent beyond capacity - Dec 10, 2010
- Russian prison to install sunbeds to improve the health of their inmates - Nov 11, 2010
Tags: agitation, amenities, authorities, captives, caracas, court trials, deputy minister, hostage, jail inmates, jails, july 1, los andes, negotiation, prisoners, proceedings, relatives, sanitation, southern venezuela, tarek, vista hermosa