Venezuela to urge OPEC for more output cutsMarch 12th, 2009 - 5:13 am ICT by IANS
Caracas, March 12 (EFE) Venezuela will urge for more production cuts at the upcoming meeting of the Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) March 15 in Vienna, an official said Wednesday.Angel Rodriguez, the chairman of the National Assembly’s Energy and Mines Committee, said OPEC’s supply-cut strategy has already produced some results but the oil price is still too low.
“It’s important for the price to rise slowly and steadily” because the current range of $40-50 a barrel is slowing down investment in the oil sector, he said.
Rodriguez said the extraction of petroleum at sea was not profitable as the cost of offshore production amounts to $45 a barrel.
Regarding Saudi Arabia’s possible opposition to a new supply cut, the legislator said that nation “has cooperated in a significant way in the process (OPEC’s oil output cuts) and supported revitalisation of the cartel”.
Venezuela’s Economy Minister Ali Rodriguez earlier said that the country planned to push for more supply cuts.
Oil prices peaked at a record $147 per barrel last July, but plunged amid the global economic crisis that began in September. In December OPEC decided to slash output by 2.2 million barrels per day.
Venezuela has also reduced its oil output by 364,000 barrels per day in compliance with the OPEC’s supply cuts.
- Venezuela boosts oil sales to China - Aug 14, 2012
- Venezuela will become world's top oil exporter: Chavez - Dec 29, 2011
- Venezuela aims to boost oil output - Dec 21, 2011
- Venezuela surpasses Saudi Arabia in oil reserves - Jul 20, 2011
- Italian oil giant to invest $7 bn in Venezuela - Jul 16, 2011
- OPEC oil price keeps fluctuating - Nov 08, 2011
- OPEC cartel faced with future risks in its 50th year - Sep 10, 2010
- Japan, South Korea plan big oil investments in Venezuela - Apr 30, 2012
- OPEC daily basket price hits $97.34 per barrel - Jun 13, 2012
- Ecuador signs deals to boost oil output - Feb 02, 2012
- Venezuela provides $2 bn for fund with China - Jul 11, 2011
- Venezuela, China announce joint oil venture - Apr 20, 2010
- OPEC delegates to keep oil output steady - Sep 09, 2009
- OPEC expects increase in 2013 world crude oil demand - Jul 12, 2012
- Ecuador seeks to hedge oil prices against drop - Jul 04, 2011
Tags: ali rodriguez, angel rodriguez, caracas, cartel, economy minister, efe, extraction of petroleum, global economic crisis, legislator, national assembly, offshore production, oil output cuts, oil price, oil prices, oil sector, opec, petroleum exporting countries, saudi arabia, upcoming meeting, vienna