Venezuela to deploy tanks on Colombia borderJanuary 11th, 2010 - 1:20 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico, Jan 11 (RIA Novosti) Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has announced plans for the deployment of new Russian-made tanks and combat helicopters on the border with Colombia.
Ties between Venezuela and Colombia deteriorated last August after Washington signed a deal with Bogota allowing US forces to run anti-drug operations from Colombian bases. Chavez has criticised the deal and called for the Venezuelan people and army to prepare for a war.
“We are expecting the arrival of the first shipment of tanks (from Russia) which will be sent to Barracas (in the state of Barinas) to reinforce a motorised infantry brigade,” Chavez said in his weekly TV programme, Alo Presidente, Sunday.
“In addition, attack helicopters arriving from Russia will be deployed along the Colombian border,” he said.
Chavez secured a $2.2 loan from Russia during his visit to Moscow last September for the purchase of 92 T-72 main battle tanks, an undisclosed number of Smerch multiple launch rocket systems (MLRS), and a variety of air defense systems, including the advanced S-300 complexes.
Between 2005 and 2007, Moscow and Caracas signed 12 contracts worth more than $4.4
billion to supply arms to Venezuela, including fighter jets, helicopters and Kalashnikov assault rifles.
Venezuelan military already has nearly 200 tanks, according to the London-based International Institute for Strategic Studies, while Colombia has no tank units.
- Venezuela's Chavez back in the public eye - May 24, 2012
- Eighteen soldiers killed in Venezuela helicopter crash - May 04, 2009
- Chavez calls on citizens to prepare for war - Nov 09, 2009
- US spy plane entered Venezuela from Colombia: Chavez - Dec 21, 2009
- Venezuela, Colombia liberalise bilateral trade - Nov 29, 2011
- Top Colombian drug lord held - Nov 29, 2011
- Venezuela to buy arms worth $5 bn from Russia - Apr 06, 2010
- Russia, Venezuela sign energy, defence deals - Apr 04, 2010
- Belarus to help build space facility in Venezuela - Jul 05, 2012
- 10 killed in Venezuelan military chopper crash - Aug 29, 2010
- India, Russia to make multiple rocket systems - Sep 06, 2012
- Russia, India joint anti-terrorism drills begin Tuesday - Aug 07, 2012
- Cancer-hit Chavez to leave Cuba next week - Mar 09, 2012
- Chavez to visit Russia for military shopping - Aug 18, 2009
- Venezuela freezes relations with Colombia - Jul 30, 2009
Tags: alo presidente, attack helicopters, colombian border, combat helicopters, drug operations, fighter jets, hugo chavez, infantry brigade, international institute for strategic studies, kalashnikov assault rifles, main battle tanks, mlrs, president hugo chavez, ria novosti, rocket systems, tank units, undisclosed number, venezuelan military, venezuelan president hugo, venezuelan president hugo chavez