Venezuela to buy arms worth $5 bn from RussiaApril 6th, 2010 - 12:31 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, April 6 (IANS/EFE) Venezuela will buy new arms from Russia valued at more than $5 billion, Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has said.
“Our delegation has just returned from Venezuela and the total amount of purchases could exceed $5 billion,” Putin said Monday at a meeting here on the development of the country’s arms industry.
This includes the $2.2 billion loan that Russia will provide to Venezuela for the acquisition of new Russian weapons, the premier said.
The agreement was reached last week with the government of Hugo Chavez during the visit of a Russian delegation to Caracas.
Venezuela, which since 2005 has purchased $4.4 billion worth of Russian arms, has become the Russian defence industry’s biggest customer in Latin America evoking concern from neighbouring Colombia and the US.
Venezuela has already bought 100,000 assault rifles, 24 Su-30MK2 fighter-bombers and 51 helicopters under the agreement.
A plant to manufacture Kalashnikov rifles and another one to make ammunition will also be built.
Venezuela is also planning to buy three Varshavianka-class submarines, 92 T-72 tanks, several BMP-3 armoured vehicles, 10 Mi-28N combat helicopters, Il-114 patrol airplanes and air defence systems, Russian sources said.
- Russia, Venezuela sign energy, defence deals - Apr 04, 2010
- New gas find another reason to boost defence: Chavez - Sep 15, 2009
- Venezuela receives Chinese planes armed with missiles - Mar 14, 2010
- Russia to help Venezuela develop nuclear project - Apr 03, 2010
- Venezuela to deploy tanks on Colombia border - Jan 11, 2010
- China gives $20 bn to Venezuela in exchange for fuel - Apr 19, 2010
- Venezuela to pull gold reserves out of US, Europe - Aug 19, 2011
- Venezuela, Colombia liberalise bilateral trade - Nov 29, 2011
- Venezuelan lawmakers honour Olympic fencing champ - Aug 15, 2012
- Chavez vows to double Venezuela's military might - Jul 25, 2009
- Putin backs importing foreign military technology - Jul 03, 2012
- Chavez returns to Cuba for treatment - Jul 18, 2011
- Four die in Venezuelan helicopter crash (Lead) - May 19, 2012
- Venezuela aims to boost oil output - Dec 21, 2011
- Venezuela boosts oil sales to China - Aug 14, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,