Venezuela, Russia likely to sign energy deal WednesdayNovember 24th, 2008 - 6:50 pm ICT by IANS
Caracas, Nov 24 (RIA Novosti) Venezuela’s state-owned oil company, Petroleos de Venezuela (PDVSA), will sign a “strategic” cooperation agreement with Russian oil and gas companies to create a join energy consortium, the Venezuelan energy minister said Monday. The bilateral cooperation agreement is expected to be signed during a two-day visit to Venezuela by Russian President Dmitry Medvedev Wednesday, said Rafael Ramirez, who also heads state-owned PDVSA.
Gazprom will head the Russian half of the consortium, which will include state-run oil giant Rosneft, British-Russian joint oil venture TNK-BP, Siberian oil and gas producer Surgutneftegas and the country’s largest independent crude producer LUKoil, the Russian energy giant’s international relations department head, Stanislav Tsygankov, said.
Earlier Russian Energy Minister Sergei Shmatko said that once the Russian consortium has been established, a joint Russian-Venezuelan oil and gas conglomerate led by PDVSA is expected to be set up with the Venezuelan oil company owning a controlling stake.
The joint consortium, which is due to be established by next spring, could become an oil and gas leader in Latin America, Shmatko said.
He also said investment in the project is expected to top “tens of billions of dollars”.
Venezuela is one of the world’s largest oil producing states, with about 87 billion barrels of proven conventional oil reserves. In addition, it has huge non-conventional oil deposits (heavy oil). Most of these deposits are located in the Orinoco oil belt
- Russia, Venezuela sign package of oil deals - Sep 10, 2009
- Russia to help Venezuela develop nuclear project - Apr 03, 2010
- Venezuela and Russia complete oil deal negotiations - Sep 14, 2009
- ExxonMobil and Rosneft sign deal for joint development of Arctic and Black Sea resources - Aug 31, 2011
- Venezuela boosts oil sales to China - Aug 14, 2012
- Italian oil giant to invest $7 bn in Venezuela - Jul 16, 2011
- Russian oil companies want consortium in Latin America - Sep 18, 2008
- Japan, South Korea plan big oil investments in Venezuela - Apr 30, 2012
- Russian firm to operate two oil fields in Venezuela - Apr 13, 2012
- Venezuela, Cuba sign oil exploration treaty - Apr 23, 2010
- Venezuela, China announce joint oil venture - Apr 20, 2010
- Latin America - Energising India (Comment) - Jun 21, 2012
- Russia's Gazprom in talks over LNG supplies to India - Oct 25, 2010
- ONGC-led consortium to invest $3 billion in Venezuela - Jul 11, 2012
- Venezuela, China sign oil, mining agreements - Dec 24, 2009