Venezuela prison brawl toll rises to 26August 24th, 2012 - 1:42 pm ICT by IANS
Caracas, Aug 24 (IANS/EFE) The toll in last weekend’s battle between heavily armed inmate gangs at the Yare I prison near Caracas has risen to 26, said authorities.
The initial casualty report, issued Monday, spoke of 25 dead and 43 injured.
Among those killed in Sunday’s confrontation was an inmate’s relative who was at the prison for visiting day.
The process of identifying the bodies was completed Wednesday, the prisons ministry said in a statement.
The ministry offered no information on the condition of the 43 people hurt in the incident, including 14 visiting family members.
Authorities suspect the fight began when someone fired a shot as leaders of the rival gangs were holding a discussion, Prisons Minister Iris Varela said earlier this week.
The initial investigation also points to culpability on the part of both uniformed and civilian prison personnel and some inmates’ relatives, Varela said.
“Those who put the guns here in the prison are just as responsible for the deaths as the people who pulled the triggers,” she said, promising a “good investigation”.
The penitentiary is located in the town of Yare, about 70 km south of Caracas.
The Venezuelan government says the serious problem with weapons inside the country’s vastly overcrowded prisons will be addressed as part of a restructuring of the penal system.
Violence in the Andean nation’s prisons claimed 304 lives in the first half of the year, an increase of 15 percent over the same period in 2011, the independent Venezuelan Prisons Observatory said Monday.
- 25 killed in brawl at Venezuelan prison (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Over 20 killed in Venezuela prison fight - Aug 21, 2012
- Venezuelan killed by stray shot from prison - May 10, 2012
- Venezuela doesn't believe it needs more jails - Sep 28, 2011
- Five accused of sex crimes slain in Venezuela prison - Jan 03, 2012
- 4,000 Venezuelan prisoners on hunger strike - Sep 04, 2010
- Prison official slain in Venezuela - Jul 07, 2012
- Inmates' relatives occupy two Venezuelan prisons - Feb 17, 2010
- 16 die in Venezuela prison violence - Oct 01, 2010
- Kin protest for better condition in Venezuelan jails - Jan 12, 2010
- Venezuelan inmates hold 700 jail visitors hostage - Jan 08, 2012
- Venezuela, Colombia liberalise bilateral trade - Nov 29, 2011
- Inmate kills girlfriend, stashes body in cell at Peru prison - Nov 30, 2010
- Mexico plans to build eight prisons - Feb 23, 2012
- Brazil prison population triples in 15 years - Dec 29, 2010
Tags: andean nation, authorities, caracas, casualty report, confrontation, deaths, family members, guns, initial investigation, inmates, iris varela, observatory, overcrowded prisons, penal system, penitentiary, relatives, restructuring, rival gangs, venezuelan government, yare