Venezuela beat Colombia 2-0, keep World Cup dream aliveApril 1st, 2009 - 3:02 pm ICT by IANS
Caracas, April 1 (DPA) Venezuela obtained a crucial 2-0 home win over direct rival Colombia in the South American qualifiers for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
The result leaves Colombia on 14 points from 12 games, with Venezuela on 13 points. If the qualifiers were to end now, neither team would continue to South Africa.
Despite Abel Aguirre being sent off in the first half, Venezuela could not crack the game until the last quarter-of-an-hour of play in Puerto Ordaz late Tuesday.
Nicolas Fedor opened the score - albeit possibly in an offside position - in the 76th minute, barely three minutes after coming onto the pitch from the bench as a substitute. Just five minutes later, Venezuela captain Juan Arango made things 2-0 with a beautifully executed free-kick.
In South America’s World Cup qualifiers, each of the 10 sides plays each of the other nine teams at home and away. The top four win a place in the event. The fifth-placed team has a chance to advance through a play-off against a representative of the North, Central American and Caribbean region.
On Wednesday, the 12th round of the South American qualifiers is set to end with Chile-Uruguay, Brazil-Peru, Bolivia-Argentina and Ecuador-Paraguay.
Ahead of those games, Paraguay top the table with 23 points in 11 matches, while Argentina and Chile have 19 points each and Brazil are on 18.
- Brazil stumbles with 1-1 draw against Ecuador - Mar 30, 2009
- Argentina remain on top despite 1-1 draw - Sep 12, 2012
- Argentina lose again; Paraguay seal World Cup berth (Roundup) - Sep 10, 2009
- Argentina face Paraguay in World Cup qualifier - Sep 07, 2012
- Chile qualifies for World Cup, Argentina back on track - Oct 11, 2009
- 2010 World Cup: Brazil win, Argentina stumble in qualifiers - Jun 11, 2009
- Brazil gets World Cup berth with 3-1 win in Argentina - Sep 06, 2009
- Argentina tackle crucial match as they look over abyss - Oct 09, 2009
- Paraguay keep World Cup course; Brazil, Argentina struggle - Oct 16, 2008
- Brazil, Argentina win in tight World Cup qualifiers (South American Roundup) - Jun 07, 2009
- Venezuela keen to test Argentina in Friday friendly - Aug 31, 2011
- Argentina, Ecuador win opening FIFA World Cup qualifiers - Oct 08, 2011
- Argentina lose again, Paraguay seal World Cup berth - Sep 10, 2009
- Unasur summit to open in Argentina Tuesday - May 03, 2010
- Latin America beckons: India must seize the moment (Comment) - Jul 26, 2012
Tags: abel, aguirre, april 1, bench, caracas, caribbean region, cup qualifiers, dpa, five minutes, free kick, hour of play, juan arango, last quarter, nicolas fedor, offside position, puerto ordaz, south africa, south american qualifiers, three minutes, world cup dream