Vegetarian fare at White House save for the prawnsNovember 25th, 2009 - 10:49 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Nov 25 (IANS) Save for an option of green curry prawns, President Barack Obama offered his guests an all-vegetarian fare at his first state dinner in honour of Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh who one newspaper had described as an “abstemious vegetarian.”
Dubbed by some as Washington’s most elite social event since his Jan 20 inauguration, the Tuesday dinner also featured fresh arugula from the White House garden and entertainment by Oscar winners A.R. Rahman and Jennifer Hudson.
The food and wines on the menu:
- Potato and eggplant salad
- White House arugula with onion seed vinaigrette
- 2008 sauvignon blanc, Modus Operandi, Napa Valley, Calif.
- Red lentil soup with fresh cheese
- 2006 Riesling, Brooks “Ara,” Willamette Valley, Ore.
- Roasted potato dumplings with tomato chutney, chick peas and okra or green curry prawns, caramelized salsify with smoked collard greens and coconut-aged basmati
- 2007 grenache, Beckmen Vineyards, Santa Ynez, Calif.
- Pumpkin pie tart, pear tatin, whipped cream and caramel sauce
- Sparkling chardonnay, Thibaut Janisson Brut, Monticello, Va.
- Petits fours and coffee
- Cashew brittle
- Pecan pralines
- Passion fruit and vanilla gelees
- Chocolate-dipped fruit
- Obamas' State Dinner was `"magnifiscent', unforgettable experience: PM - Nov 27, 2009
- Dinner menu for Manmohan spiced with typos - Nov 27, 2009
- Book launched on coastal Maharashtrian cuisine - Feb 03, 2012
- Indian Christmas with desi fusion fare - Dec 23, 2011
- Obamas' host glittering gala with their distinctive touch - Nov 25, 2009
- Potatoes back on menus as healthy meal - Apr 26, 2011
- Veggie chicken tikka potato chips! New flavours beckon - Jun 21, 2012
- Pakhala, a hot favourite in Orissa's summer menu - Apr 11, 2010
- Delhi samples exotic flavours of Ecuador (With Image) - Oct 17, 2010
- Shooting fish prices eating into Goan festivities - Sep 06, 2011
- Indian cuisines coexist, promote tolerance: Australian restaurateur - Nov 16, 2011
- A mouthful of 'tricolour' dishes (With Images) - Aug 13, 2012
- Fish to brinjal fry...take your pick at Puja (Feature) - Oct 03, 2011
- New Italian delights under candlelight at Rhapsody - May 05, 2010
- Stuffed lasagne with forest mushroom and truffle, anybody? (Eating Out With IANS) - Sep 27, 2010
Tags: barack obama, beckmen vineyards, caramel sauce, chick peas, chocolate dipped fruit, collard greens, curry prawns, eggplant salad, green curry, indian prime minister manmohan singh, manmohan singh, modus operandi, onion seed, potato dumplings, prime minister manmohan singh, pumpkin pie, red lentil soup, seed vinaigrette, tomato chutney, willamette valley