Vatican rejects Bulgarian envoy for writing ‘homosexual act’August 7th, 2012 - 12:07 am ICT by IANS
Vatican City, Aug 6 (IANS/AKI) The Vatican rejected the candidacy of a Bulgarian diplomat to become the next ambassador of his country because he is the author of a best-selling novel containing a homosexual act, Italy’s La Republica newspaper reported.
Kiril Maritchov Jr.’s rejection in May was “punishment” for a scene written by the married father of two in his 2005 book “The Fugitive’s Road”.
The book deals with migration from eastern Europe to Italy and includes a scene dealing with a male character paying another man for sex. It topped the best-selling lists in his home country, the daily said.
Maritchov, a 36-year-old lawyer and writer, is the son of a popular Bulgarian rock musician and the grandson of Kiril Marichkov, who was ambassador to the Vatican between 1993 and 1997, reported Vatican Insider, a news agency owned by Italy’s La Stampa daily that tracks Vatican affairs.
The rejection of Maritchov’s diplomatic credentials has strained relations between the Vatican and Bulgaria even with Maritchov’s sterling government references.
The book’s ending, in which the protagonist confesses all his sins to god and pleads for his eternal compassion, also did little to put Maritchov in the Pope’s good graces.
- Italian politician jumps to death - May 09, 2012
- Gay Italian politician to run for PM in 2013 - Aug 02, 2012
- Berlusconi says he won't stand for re-election - Nov 09, 2011
- Pope greets Queen Elizabeth - Jun 06, 2012
- Abducted Italian journalists freed in Libya (Lead) - Aug 25, 2011
- Italy may freeze 3.6 bn euros of Libyan assets - Mar 02, 2011
- Italian town councillor sacked for giving fascist salute - Jan 20, 2011
- Pope can't cook, says brother - Apr 04, 2012
- Ferrari, Lavazza designer dies at 85 - Jul 03, 2012
- Ferrari to auction F1 items to help Italian quake victims - Jun 01, 2012
- Vatican recognises Libya's NTC - Oct 22, 2011
- Berlusconi to write memoir on his private life - Aug 24, 2011
- Vatican urges prudence in assessing WikiLeaks documents - Dec 14, 2010
- Syrian PM's defection shows isolation of Assad: Italy - Aug 06, 2012
- Media has tarnished Vatican's image: Pope - May 31, 2012
Tags: ambassador, book deals, bulgarian rock, candidacy, compassion, diplomat, diplomatic credentials, eastern europe, good graces, government references, homosexual act, kiril, la stampa, male character, news agency, protagonist, rejection, rock musician, vatican, vatican city