Vatican greets Buddhists for Vesakh festivalApril 29th, 2008 - 8:25 pm ICT by admin
Vatican City, April 29 (DPA) The Vatican issued Tuesday “warm greetings” to Buddhists for their festival of Vesakh which this year is celebrated between May 12 and 18. In the message, the Vatican’s top inter-faith dialogue official, Cardinal Jean-Louis Tauran, also called on Christians and Buddhists to work closely to preserve nature and the environment.
“Christianity and Buddhism have always upheld a great respect for nature and taught that we should be grateful stewards of the earth.
“On a practical level can we Christians and Buddhists not do more to collaborate in projects which confirm the responsibility that falls to each and everyone of us?
“Recycling, energy conservation, the prevention of indiscriminate destruction of plant and animal life, and the protection of waterways all speak of careful stewardship and indeed foster goodwill and promote cordial relations among peoples.
“In this way Christians and Buddhists together can be harbingers of hope for a clean, safe and harmonious world,” Tauran wrote.
In the message - which was issued in English, Italian and French -Tauran also noted “the positive relationships that Catholics and Buddhists have enjoyed for many years”.
On Vesakh, Buddhists traditionally commemorate the birth, teachings and passing away of their religion’s founder, Gautama Buddha, who preached in India around 400 BC.
- Muslims, Catholics hold inter-faith meet in Vatican - Jul 12, 2012
- Buddhists welcome Hindu statesman Zed to Bodhi Day commemoration in Nevada - Dec 06, 2010
- Vatican: Cardinal urges Hindus and Christians to get closer - Oct 29, 2010
- Scholars discuss relevance of Buddha in modern world - Nov 27, 2011
- Hindus send greetings to Buddhists on Vesakha - Apr 28, 2011
- Hindus greet Buddhists on Bodhi Day - Dec 05, 2010
- Jade Buddha to visit India in November 2012 - Nov 29, 2011
- Hindus greet Buddhists on Magha Puja - Feb 13, 2011
- India owns copyright to Buddhism: Karmapa Lama - Dec 23, 2011
- Vatican wishes Hindus well for Diwali festival - Oct 16, 2009
- Hindus greet Buddhists on Vesakha - May 24, 2010
- India owns copyright to Buddhism: Karmapa Lama (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Dec 23, 2011
- Feast of Buddhist arts, culture in Delhi from Monday - Nov 24, 2011
- Prestigious Duke University sets aside "Prayer Space" for Hindus & Buddhists - Jan 19, 2011
- Buddhists to throng Bodh Gaya Thursday for special rites - Dec 27, 2010
Tags: animal life, april 29, buddha, buddhism, buddhists, careful stewardship, catholics, christians, cordial relations, dpa, energy conservation, english italian, gautama buddha, harmonious world, indiscriminate destruction, stewards, vatican city, vesakh, warm greetings, waterways