Van Gogh’s final masterpiece expected to fetchNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:53 am ICT by admin
Van Gogh completed his work ‘The Fields’ on 10 July 1890, just 19 days before his death.
The artist, who was battling depression at the time, walked into a field on 27 July 1890, at the age of 37, and shot himself in the chest with a revolver. Without realizing that he was fatally wounded he returned to the Ravoux Inn where he died in his bed two days later.
The work has been in private hands ever since, and has been in Britain only once.
David Norman, the executive vice-president at Sotheby’s said that the painting shows none of the depression that caused the painter to commit suicide just a few days later.
“Here is an artist literally on the verge of taking his life and filled with tremendous despondency, yet he is still painting with lemon yellows, azure blues and emerald greens,” The Telegraph quoted Mr Norman, as saying.
“We know this is a man barely holding on to his will to live, yet he is able to separate his energy and focus on what he sees before him.”
Van Gogh’s brother, Theo, was so emotionally attached to the painting that he kept it in the family collection for 20 years before his widow, Johanna, finally sold it to a private collector, Paul Cassirer, in 1907.
Since then, it has remained in private collections, exchanging hands between collectors privately but never entering the public market. (ANI)
- Bloody letter that shows Van Gogh's turmoil set to go on display - Jan 17, 2010
- Akbar Padamsee to lead Sotheby's Asian art sale - Feb 18, 2011
- Art auction market witnessing new generation of buyers (With Images) - Jul 11, 2012
- Mystery behind Vincent van Gogh's slashed ear solved? - Dec 27, 2009
- X-rays reveal why van Gogh paintings are losing their shine - Feb 15, 2011
- Munch's 'The Scream' sold for record $119 million at U.S. art auction - May 03, 2012
- 12 Tagore art works to be auctioned at Sotheby's - May 17, 2010
- It's official: 'Le Blute-Fin Windmill' is work of Vincent Van Gogh - Feb 25, 2010
- Van Gogh painting inspires Sheeran's new tattoo - Jul 28, 2012
- 450-year-old Titian painting sells for record $16.9m at NY auction - Jan 28, 2011
- Four private Indian art archives from US on sale at Sotheby's - Aug 09, 2012
- Raza painting to be sold by Sotheby's (With Image) - Mar 19, 2012
- Historic Nepali mandala art sets world record at Sotheby's - Jun 02, 2011
- Van Gogh painting stolen from Cairo museum - Aug 22, 2010
- Experts authenticate the Van Gogh Painting titled 'Le Blute-fin Mill' - Feb 26, 2010
Tags: azure blues, battling depression, brother theo, commit suicide, days later, despondency, emerald greens, executive vice president, family collection, on the verge, painting, private collections, private collector, private hands, revolver, sotheby, van gogh, yellows