Van Gogh painting stolen from Cairo museumAugust 22nd, 2010 - 1:13 am ICT by IANS
Cairo, Aug 21 (DPA) One of Vincent Van Gogh’s most famous paintings, “Poppy Flowers”, has been stolen from a museum in Cairo, Egypt’s Ministry of Culture said Saturday.
It was not immediately clear how the thieves managed to steal the painting from the Mahmoud Khalil museum, but Culture Minister Farouq Hosni ordered urgent measures to prevent it being taken out of the country.
In 1978, the same painting was stolen, but was returned shortly afterwards. One year later, a duplicate was sold for $43 million in London, sparking a debate in Egypt whether the returned painting was, in fact, a fake.
The museum is named after Mohammed Mahmoud Khalil, a prominent Egyptian politician who purchased the 1915 Nile-side mansion with his French wife. The couple were passionate art collectors.
The museum, inaugurated in 1962, nine years after Khalil’s death, houses a collection of 208 items, among them works by Monet, Toulouse-Lautrec, Gauguin, and Rodin.
- $50m Van Gogh painting 'still missing' - Aug 22, 2010
- Van Gogh painting heist: Egyptian officials arrested - Aug 24, 2010
- Egyptian tycoon offers reward for stolen Van Gogh painting - Aug 27, 2010
- Egypt to re-open its historical sites on Sunday - Feb 18, 2011
- Swiss museum to return 4,000-year-old relic to Egypt - May 13, 2011
- Egypt woos the Indian traveller (With Images) - Feb 11, 2012
- Picasso stolen from Athens National Gallery - Jan 10, 2012
- I've stopped being fussy, says world's wealthiest person - Mar 30, 2011
- Egyptian journalist quits state TV - Feb 04, 2011
- Bring a slice of Rodin's legacy home - for Rs.6 lakh - Feb 02, 2011
- Egypt asks German museum for Nefertiti bust - Jan 25, 2011
- Egypt's credit rating downgraded (Lead) - Feb 05, 2011
- Robbery takes places at ancient Olympia Museum - Feb 17, 2012
- Krishna heads to Egypt, Syria on agenda - Mar 02, 2012
- Egypt military to seize former ruling party's headquarters - Apr 10, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,