Van Gogh painting heist: Egyptian officials arrestedAugust 24th, 2010 - 12:24 pm ICT by IANS
Cairo, Aug 24 (IANS/AKI) One of Egypt’s top culture officials and other employees of the Egyptian culture ministry were arrested following the theft of painting by Vincent Van Gogh from Cairo’s Mahmud Khalil museum, according to a news report.
Citing a judicial source, the report said the police Monday arrested the head of the fine arts sector of the culture ministry, Mohsen Shaalan, three museum security guards and an official. The charge was negligence.
Following the heist of “Vase and Flowers” Saturday, Egyptian culture minister Farouk Hosni announced that it had been recovered at the Cairo airport and that two Italians had been arrested in connection with theft. Hosni later retracted the comment, saying he had been misinformed.
According to experts the painting is worth more than $50 million.
Egypt’s top prosecutor, Abdel Meguid Mahmud, said poor security was to blame for the theft.
He told reporters Sunday that seven out of 43 security cameras were working and that the alarms and cameras had been out of order for some time.
Hosni Monday said that “the search is ongoing” and that “police are on alert at the borders and the airports”, according to a news report.
The painting was earlier recovered in 1978 after it was stolen the year prior to that.
- Egyptian tycoon offers reward for stolen Van Gogh painting - Aug 27, 2010
- $50m Van Gogh painting 'still missing' - Aug 22, 2010
- Van Gogh painting stolen from Cairo museum - Aug 22, 2010
- Egypt asks German museum for Nefertiti bust - Jan 25, 2011
- Egyptian court to probe Mubarak family's bank accounts - Mar 08, 2011
- 100 prisoners killed during Egypt protest: Report - Sep 02, 2011
- Egypt unrest toll put at 384 - Feb 23, 2011
- US embassy staff return to Cairo - Apr 30, 2011
- Ukrainian, two Israelis get life term in Egypt - Mar 13, 2012
- Egypt museum treasures being repaired - Feb 08, 2011
- Egypt president's son, family flee to Britain - Jan 26, 2011
- Egypt president's son, family flee to Britain (Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- Egypt sets up committee to re-check Mubarak's health - May 20, 2011
- Football matches postponed in Egypt for security reasons - Jan 29, 2011
- Swiss museum to return 4,000-year-old relic to Egypt - May 13, 2011
Tags: 50 million, cairo airport, culture minister, culture ministry, egyptian culture, egyptian officials, farouk hosni, heist, italians, judicial source, khalil, mahmud, museum security, news report, poor security, security cameras, security guards, van gogh painting, vase, vincent van gogh