Valentine’s Day banned in Russia’s Belgorod provinceFebruary 9th, 2011 - 10:57 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Moscow, Feb 9 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Authorities in the Russian province of Belgorod have placed a ban on the celebration of Valentine’s Day.
The authorities have urged schools and other state institutions under its jurisdiction not to engage in the celebration of the day because it has no significance in the Russian culture.
An official of the province was quoted by the media in Russia as saying “The very atmosphere of these holidays does not foster the formation of spiritual and moral values in youth, and holding them primarily benefits commercial organizations”.
The Russian local media reports that the province has similar opinion about the observation of the Halloween.
The deputy governor of Belgorod signed the letter that was sent to the schools and the institutions. The letter and the directive in it had the full backing of the Orthodox Church in the province. The Russian Orthodox bishop for the province reportedly “blessed” the letter.
The directive will hit bars and other businesses that were hoping to make some cash during the day hard. They have been ordered not to organize any special events on the day.
The Russian Orthodox Church remains a powerful institution in the country. The Soviet Union was officially an atheist state until it came apart in 1991.
- Valentine's Day Banned by Russian Province for 'Spiritual Security' - Feb 11, 2011
- Russian province bans Valentine's Day - Feb 12, 2011
- Russian region imposes fine on clients of prostitutes - Jun 29, 2012
- Russian church urges Kremlin not to ignore vote protests - Jan 08, 2012
- Presence of CPI-M politburo member at church altar kicks up row - Sep 02, 2012
- Valentine's Day not Christian fest: Malaysian churches - Feb 11, 2011
- Sex abuse scandal overshadows Pope's British trip - Sep 14, 2010
- Anger in Russia as Pussy Riot jailed - Aug 18, 2012
- Atheist group tries to stop prayers at High School - Oct 27, 2011
- Hindus laud Vatican for effort in uniting believers & non-believers - Jan 31, 2011
- Boy George Returns Church Icon To Cyprus' Orthodox Christian Church - Jan 21, 2011
- Russians against church meddling in politics - Aug 15, 2012
- Halloween Sales all set to beat Valentines Day sales - Oct 01, 2010
- Christmas celebrated with fervour in Meghalaya - Dec 25, 2011
- Church asks British schools to oppose gay marriages - Apr 27, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,