Valencia to test leaders Barcelona in Liga (Preview)December 4th, 2008 - 4:13 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Dec 4 (DPA) The big football game in Spain this weekend sees runaway leaders Barcelona at home to rugged Valencia Saturday in the Primera Liga.Barca are four points above second-placed Villarreal, with Valencia five points behind them in third place.
Valencia will make the trip to the Camp Nou - where they were thrashed 6-0 last season - without captain Carlos Marchena who was sent off in last Sunday’s 3-2 defeat of Betis.
In addition, Brazilian midfielder Edu and Spain striker David Silva are injured.
“It’s going to be a difficult game for us,” said Valencia’s old warhorse Ruben Baraja.
“But we have got fairly good results there in the past few years, and I think we can do this again Saturday.”
Barca, for their part, will be without the suspended Samuel Eto’o - league top scorer with 14 goals - as well as injury victims Gabriel Milito, Eric Abidal and Andres Iniesta.
Earlier Saturday, surprise package Sporting Gijon face inconsistent Atletico Madrid while Villarreal take on Getafe.
Getafe are on a high after beating Real Madrid 3-1 and drawing 1-1 away to Barca.
Sunday’s main match will be between troubled Real and Sevilla, who have striker Luis Fabiano suspended.
Real’s injury crisis worsens by the day, and they will be without Miguel Torres, Gabriel Heinze, Pepe, Mahamadou Diarra, Wesley Sneijder, Ruben de la Red and Ruud Van Nistelrooy.
However, it is hoped that Fabio Cannavaro, Gonzalo Higuain and Arjen Robben will be ready to return, or at least to be on the subs’ bench.
Up in the Bernabeu stands will be new boy Klaas Jan Huntelaar, signed Tuesday from Ajax for 20 million euros ($25.30 million). The Dutch international cannot play for Real until January, by which time he should have recovered from his ankle injury.
Sunday’s other games are: Mallorca-Recreativo Huelva, Osasuna-Valladolid, Deportivo Coruna-Malaga, Numancia-Almeria, Racing Santander-Athletic Bilbao and Betis-Espanyol.
The latter game will feature the debut on the Espanyol bench of Mane, the coach who took tiny Alaves to the UEFA Cup final in 2001. He was appointed Monday to replace the luckless Bartolome Marquez, who only lasted four months.
- Barca five points behind Real after draw against Espanyol - Jan 09, 2012
- Real Madrid to face Sevilla in Spain's Primera Liga - Dec 15, 2011
- Real Madrid extend La Liga lead - Nov 21, 2011
- Messi back from India to resume Spanish liga action - Sep 09, 2011
- Barca trail one point behind Real after crushing victory - Apr 11, 2012
- Crucial weekend for Madrid, Barca in La Liga - Feb 10, 2012
- Barcelona win easy in La Liga, Real maintain 10-point lead - Feb 20, 2012
- Barcelona beat Sporting Gijon to top Spanish League - Oct 03, 2011
- Barca win 'El Classico' to go top of Spanish La Liga - Dec 11, 2011
- Barcelona keen for revenge against Cup nemesis Sevilla - Jan 14, 2010
- Liga's penultimate round about survival and qualifying - May 04, 2012
- Levante consolidate fourth place in La Liga - Nov 28, 2011
- Deportivo next target for rampant Barcelona - Dec 03, 2009
- Real Madrid look to comeback after El Classico defeat - Dec 12, 2011
- Levante back to top four in Spanish Primera Liga - Feb 26, 2012