Valencia beat Sevilla; Barcelona reserves held by EspanyolJanuary 22nd, 2009 - 2:54 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Jan 22 (DPA) The quarter-finals of the Spanish King’s Cup produced two contrasting first-leg clashes, an epic 3-2 win for Valencia over Sevilla, followed by a drab goalless draw between crosstown rivals Espanyol and Barcelona.Holders Valencia Wednesday came from 2-1 down to score a dramatic win, thanks to late goals from Ruben Baraja and Juan Mata.
Valencia had taken a sixth-minute lead through David Villa, taking advantage of a schoolboy mistake from Adriano.
But 10 minutes later Villa limped off with a pulled muscle, and Valencia lost their rhythm.
Sevilla took control in the second half, and Luis Fabiano made it 1-1 with his head in the 53rd minute on a clever centre from Diego Capel.
Adriano made it 2-2 in the 68th minute, despite being around three metres offside.
Indignant Valencia came forward toward the end, determined to at least force a draw. Five minutes from time the ageless Ruben Baraja made it 2-2 with a low drive. Just two minutes, later Mata hit the winner - with the help of a wicked deflection.
“We showed real character,” said Baraja, “to come back so strongly at the end”.
The former Spain midfielder added that “their second goal was ridiculous, … so obviously offside”.
Later Wednesday, a reserve-packed Barcelona side were held to a dull 0-0 draw by troubled Espanyol.
It was a chilly night in the Montjuic Olympic Stadium, and neither side created clear chances, despite Xavi and Lionel Messi coming off the Barca bench toward the end.
It was a solid debut on the Espanyol bench for Mauricio Pochettino, who took over Tuesday from Mane.
The other quarter-final first legs will be played Thursday, with Betis taking on Mallorca and Athletic Bilbao facing Sporting Gijon.
- Barca five points behind Real after draw against Espanyol - Jan 09, 2012
- Valencia cruise up to joint fourth in La Liga - Oct 26, 2009
- Sevilla recover third place on comeback win over Villarreal - Nov 09, 2009
- Barcelona take on Espanyol in city derby - Jan 07, 2012
- Real Madrid come from behind to win against Mallorca - Jan 15, 2012
- Mallorca ahead of Sevilla in battle for fourth place - Feb 08, 2010
- Copa return leg matches may see some surprises - Jan 10, 2012
- Sevilla and Valencia both held to home draws - Nov 29, 2009
- Barcelona-Real Madrid quarter-final clash likely - Dec 24, 2011
- Valencia defender Alba signs agreement to join Barcelona - Mar 22, 2012
- Key clash in Spanish League as Barcelona visits Valencia - Sep 20, 2011
- Real Madrid extend La Liga lead - Nov 21, 2011
- Barca trail one point behind Real after crushing victory - Apr 11, 2012
- Barcelona turn on the style and go three points clear - Oct 26, 2009
- Barcelona beat Sporting Gijon to top Spanish League - Oct 03, 2011
Tags: 53rd, adriano, athletic bilbao, chilly night, crosstown rivals, deflection, diego capel, juan mata, luis fabiano, midfielder, montjuic, offside, olympic stadium, pochettino, quarter finals, ruben baraja, schoolboy, spanish king, sporting gijon, xavi