Uzbek gang held for rape, murder of 14 womenMay 31st, 2012 - 6:31 am ICT by IANS
Tashkent, May 31 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Members of a criminal gang in Uzbekistan have been arrested on suspicion of raping and murdering 14 women in the capital Tashkent, an interior ministry official said.
The gang consisted of three people — two men about 30 and the mother of one of them.
He said the suspects, all Uzbek citizens, lured women and then drove them to “quiet places” in the guise of taxi drivers.
“For more than one year, they raped and murdered 14 women in Tashkent and Tashkent region,” the official said.
One of them spent a month in jail on suspicion of committing the crimes, but was released for lack of evidence.
During the investigation, it was revealed the mother of one of the detainees sold valuables stolen from the victims.
- Uzbekistan bans foreign military bases - Aug 30, 2012
- Uzbekistan suspends mobile, internet, SMSes for exams - Aug 01, 2012
- US concerned over Uzbek decision to close rights watchdog - Jun 15, 2011
- Serial killer faces trial in Moscow - May 23, 2012
- Uzbek woman held with 2,000 tortoises - Apr 05, 2012
- Russia to set up anti-paedophile squads - Aug 07, 2012
- Three held for killing Russian Santa Claus - Jan 03, 2012
- To escape rape, Russian woman jumps from fourth floor - Jul 06, 2012
- Russian woman jailed for killing 17 - Jun 04, 2012
- Four teens held for rape, murder of minor girl - Apr 14, 2012
- Vandal caught spraypainting Russian cathedral - Apr 18, 2012
- Three Russian women kill paedophile - May 03, 2012
- Uzbek football teams to escape taxes - Jun 09, 2012
- Kyrgyzstan court bans 'extremist' rap song - Jul 25, 2012
- Five struck by lightning in Moscow - Jun 13, 2012
Tags: citizens, crimes, criminal gang, detainees, guise, interior ministry, lack of evidence, ministry official, quiet places, rape murder, ria novosti, suspicion, tashkent, taxi drivers, two men, uzbekistan