Use of nuclear arms ‘haram’, says KhameneiApril 18th, 2010 - 5:46 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, April 19 (IANS) Use of nuclear arms is “haram” (religiously forbidden) and it is necessary for all to protect mankind from the grave disaster, Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has said.
“Any use or even threat to use nuclear weapons is a serious and material violation of indisputable rules of humanitarian law and a cogent example of a war crime,” Khamenei was quoted as saying Saturday by IRNA news agency.
The Iranian supreme leader said: “There is no winner in a nuclear war and entering such a war is irrational and inhuman.”
He stressed the need to find “sensible and practical ways and solutions to counter the threat of nuclear weapons against humanity.”
The Ayatollah also urged participants at the First International Conference on Disarmament and Non-Proliferation, which began here Saturday, to take “serious steps towards protecting world peace and stability.”
Officials and ministers from 60 countries are taking part in the conference.
- Iran calls for suspending US from IAEA (Lead) - Apr 17, 2010
- NAM summit opens in Tehran - Aug 30, 2012
- Iran not hankering after n-weapons: Ayatollah Khamenei (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Nukes needed to deter blackmail by other powers: India (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- US is 'the world's only atomic criminal': Iran - Apr 18, 2010
- Iran not pursuing n-arms, says Khamenei - Feb 22, 2012
- Not hankering after n-weapons, says Iran (Second Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Nukes protect India from blackmail by other powers: Menon - Aug 21, 2012
- Obama's secret message: Iran can have civilian n-programme - Apr 07, 2012
- Best guarantee for nuclear safety is world free of n-weapons: Manmohan - Mar 27, 2012
- Iran, North Korea call for expanded ties - Sep 01, 2012
- India, Japan reaffirm commitment for total elimination of nuke weapons - Oct 26, 2010
- President Obama recognizes the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty on its 40th Anniversary - Mar 06, 2010
- India, France to enhance international non proliferation initiatives - Dec 06, 2010
- Iran 'fundamentally' opposes nuclear weapons: Khamenei - Sep 21, 2009
Tags: ali khamenei, ayatollah ali khamenei, conference on disarmament, disaster, humanitarian law, iran, iranian supreme leader, irna news agency, mankind, non proliferation, nuclear arms, nuclear war, nuclear weapons, participants, peace and stability, supreme leader ayatollah, supreme leader ayatollah ali khamenei, tehran, war crime, world peace