US worst human trafficker: RussiaJune 26th, 2012 - 2:18 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 26 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia has accused the US of being the world’s biggest importer of trafficked humans
The Russian foreign ministry said Monday that the US which has accused Russia of insufficient effort in combating human trafficking is itself the world’s biggest importer of trafficked humans.
Russia has been marked a Tier 2 Watch List country in the Trafficking in Persons Report 2012 by the US State Department. According to the report released last week, up to one million people in Russia could qualify for victims of human trafficking.
The report was heavily biased for political reasons, said Foreign Ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich in a statement on the ministry’s website.
The report paints the US and its allies as “straight-A students” on fighting human trafficking while criticising their geopolitical opponents such as Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Zimbabwe and Syria, a new addition to the Tier 3 list of worst offenders, he added.
Meanwhile, between 100,000 and 500,000 illegal migrants arriving in the US each year are victims of human trafficking, said Lukashevich citing unspecified rights activists.
Up to 100,000 minors a year become involved with the illegal child sex industry in the US and there are reports of sex slaves supplied to US military forces outside the country, he added.
At the same time, Russia does not deny the serious situation with human trafficking within the country and is putting every effort into combating this illegal transnational business, Lukashevich said.
The US State Department was yet to comment on Lukashevich’s statement.
- Russia warns citizens not to travel to Syria - Jun 21, 2012
- Russia seeks US explanation over post-2014 Afghan presence - Apr 26, 2012
- Russia makes list of 'undesirable' US officials - Oct 23, 2011
- Russia warns US on Georgia support - Jun 07, 2012
- Russia urges Syria, Turkey against clash - Jun 27, 2012
- Uruguay to debate legalising marijuana - Aug 09, 2012
- Russia slams West over Syria allegations - Jul 20, 2012
- Moscow seeks US probe in adopted Russian girl's rape case - Jun 17, 2011
- Wanted sex trafficker extradited to Russia - Mar 31, 2012
- US unwilling to comply with adoption laws: Russia - Jul 27, 2012
- Russia offers to look into deaths of Gaddafi's kin - May 31, 2011
- Russia opposes UN resolution on Syria - Jun 09, 2011
- Israeli police arrest 10 for organ trafficking - May 26, 2012
- Russia dismisses EU sanctions on Syria - Jul 29, 2012
- Syrian diplomats' expulsion counter-productive: Russia - May 31, 2012
Tags: combating human trafficking, foreign ministry spokesman, illegal child sex, illegal migrants, insufficient effort, ria novosti russia, russia moscow, russian foreign ministry, serious situation, sex industry, sex slaves, tier 2 watch list, tier 3, time russia, trafficker, trafficking in persons, trafficking in persons report, transnational business, us state department, victims of human trafficking