US woman returns 74-year overdue library bookDecember 10th, 2010 - 12:09 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 10 (ANI): An American woman has been fined 2,700 dollars after she returned a library book 74 years after her husband borrowed it.
85-year-old Hazel Severson of Sacramento says a friend found a book that her late husband had borrowed from an Amador County library in 1936 while sorting through things for a garage sale, reports the Telegraph.
Severson told The Sacramento Bee newspaper that she and her husband Howard were newly-weds back when he checked out the hardback, Seaplane Solo, about Sir Francis Chichester’s 1930 solo flight across the Tasman Sea.
Luckily for Severson, the library did not charge her the fee, though it did accept a small donation when she finally returned the book on Oct. 13.
Librarian Laura Einstadter says the library was just happy to get the book back. (ANI)
- Book returns to South Yorkshire library 45 years after it was borrowed! - Mar 19, 2010
- Beijing gets first 'human library' - Dec 27, 2011
- Woman returns book after 78 years - Sep 03, 2012
- One card for over 100 Beijing libraries - Mar 12, 2012
- $300,000 Library Book Fines In The Name Of The Earliest US President George Washington - Apr 20, 2010
- Were Whitney, Jermaine in love? - Mar 04, 2012
- Unreturned library book found after 123 years - Dec 31, 2011
- Kolkata's big library of little magazines (Feature, With Images) - Aug 10, 2011
- Book advising ways to beat wife sparks outrage - Mar 25, 2012
- 'Indian traders made British curious about Africa' (With Images) - Jun 25, 2012
- George Washington racks up $300K late fee for two library books! - Apr 17, 2010
- Mukherjee's priority - to return Rashtrapati Bhavan library to pristine glory - Sep 09, 2012
- I still feel like newlywed: Khloe Kardashian - Sep 29, 2011
- Obama's 'Of Thee I Sing' book a hit among Brooklyn youth - Nov 17, 2010
- Woman commits suicide, six held in dowry case - Jun 14, 2012
Tags: amador county library, american woman, book london, garage sale, librarian, library book, overdue library, sacramento bee, sacramento bee newspaper, severson, sir francis chichester, solo flight, tasman sea, telegraph, woman returns