US woman charged with aiding Somalia-based militia with Al-Qaeda linksNovember 16th, 2010 - 6:24 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Nov 16 (ANI): A Californian woman has been charged with aiding a Somalia-based militia with ties to Al-Qaeda, the US Department of Justice has said.
Nima Ali Yusuf was arrested on November 12 and has been charged with “conspiracy to provide material support to terrorists (and) conspiracy to provide material support to al-Shabaab,” The News quoted US attorney Laura Duffy, as saying in a statement.
The San Diego resident has also been charged with “making false statements to a government agency in a matter involving international terrorism,” Duffy added, without providing further details.
The first two charges each carry a maximum penalty of fifteen years in prison and a fine of 250,000 dollars. The false statements charge carries a maximum penalty of eight years and a 250,000-dollar fine.
24-year-old Yusuf will be held without bail until a detention hearing on Thursday.
The Shabaab- a radical Islamist insurgency bent on toppling the US-backed government in Mogadishu- had claimed responsibility for the July 11 suicide bombings in Uganda that killed 76 people.
Earlier this month, three San Diego residents were indicted on similar charges of providing funding and other support for the militant group.
However, it was not clear whether the two cases were linked, and the US attorney’s office declined to comment on the matter. (ANI)
- Indian American doctor charged with hiding India accounts - Sep 29, 2011
- Indian-American doctor convicted of health care fraud - Mar 15, 2012
- Indian American fundraiser for jailed governor arrested - Jun 21, 2012
- Two Indian Americans held for fake perfume trafficking - Dec 06, 2011
- Obama bans Somalia charcoal import - Jul 21, 2012
- "Jihad Jamie" pleads not guilty to terror charge in Philadelphia - Apr 08, 2010
- Former US senator indicted - Jun 04, 2011
- US worried about Americans helping foreign terrorists - Aug 06, 2010
- Ex-Goldman Sachs director Gupta arrested, charged in insider trading case - Oct 26, 2011
- Uzbek terror outfit supporter nabbed in US - Mar 16, 2012
- California attorney charged for tax evasion - Mar 18, 2010
- US says backing Kenya's military operation in Somalia - Oct 28, 2011
- San Francisco, CA man pleads guilty to violating Endangered Species Act - Jan 27, 2010
- Former New Orleans policeman pleads guilty for conspiring to cover up the Danziger Bridge shootings - Feb 26, 2010
- Pakistani man convicted by U.S. federal jury of conspiring to fund Taliban - May 28, 2010
Tags: al qaeda, californian woman, conspiracy, department of justice, duffy, false statements, fifteen years, government agency, international terrorism, islamist, material support, maximum penalty, militant group, militia, mogadishu, nima, san diego residents, somalia, suicide bombings, us department of justice