US warships in Gulf ’sitting ducks’ for Iran missilesJuly 5th, 2012 - 8:37 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 5 (IANS/RIA Novosti) US naval ships in the Persian Gulf are within reach of Iranian missiles should the US consider an offensive against the Islamic Republic, an Iranian expert said Wednesday.
“The United States knows that its ships in the Persian Gulf are sitting ducks when it comes to Iranian missiles,” Mohammad Marandi, a professor at Tehran University, said in an interview with Press TV.
“If missiles are fired at American naval ships they will hit their targets very quickly.”
He warned that Western countries would face severe consequences in case of a military attack against Iran.
His comments come after the European Union brought in a new round of sanctions on Iran’s oil exports in a bid to force Tehran to give up its right to enrich uranium for peaceful purposes.
In response, Iran conducted a three-day missile drill, codenamed Great Prophet 7, which Marandi said was a message to Western nations that they should be concerned about escalating the situation further.
Meanwhile, a senior military commander warned that Iranian missiles could “obliterate US military bases in regional countries within minutes of an attack on Iran.”
Brigadier General Amir-Ali Hajizadeh, commander of Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC)’s Aerospace Division, added that Iranian missiles could also easily reach Israel.
- Iran holds air defence drills - Jul 12, 2012
- Iran threatens Israel - Jul 02, 2012
- Iran to unveil 'advanced' cruise missile - Sep 09, 2012
- Iran to hold biggest naval war games - Jan 06, 2012
- Iran test fires anti-ship missiles - Jul 05, 2012
- Iran launches air drill - Feb 21, 2012
- Iranian troops begin military drill - Jan 08, 2012
- 'Iran to boost missile systems to safeguard itself from US-Israel aggression' - Jan 05, 2011
- Iran warns US battleship to keep out of Gulf - Jan 03, 2012
- Iran vows to react swiftly to any Israeli attack - Aug 19, 2012
- Iran test fires surface-to-sea missiles - Jul 06, 2011
- Iran test-fires ballistic missiles - Jul 03, 2012
- Iran denies launching missile in Persian Gulf - Jan 01, 2012
- Obama sees no basis for Iranian attack on US - Feb 06, 2012
- Iran begins 'Holy Prophet 5' war games - Apr 22, 2010
Tags: aerospace division, amir ali, brigadier general, iran missiles, iranian missiles, irgc, islamic revolution, military attack, military commander, oil exports, peaceful purposes, persian gulf, ria novosti, sanctions on iran, sitting ducks, snb, tehran university, us naval ships, warships, western countries