US warship, Japanese oil tanker collide in GulfAugust 12th, 2012 - 7:37 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 12 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A guided missile destroyer of the US Navy collided with a Japanese oil tanker Sunday in the Persian Gulf, with no injuries reported on either vessel, the US Navy said on its website.
The collision between USS Porter (DDG 78) and the Panamanian-flagged bulk oil tanker — M/V Otowasan — occurred at approximately 1 a.m. (local time) Sunday near the Strait of Hormuz, which links the Persian Gulf with the Gulf of Oman and is the export route for one-third of global seaborne traded oil.
“Overall damage to Porter is being evaluated, but the ship is able to operate under its own power,” the website reported.
The collision, which was not combat related, is under investigation.
USS Porter is on a scheduled deployment to the US 5th Fleet area of responsibility, which conducts maritime security operations and theatre security cooperation efforts.
- Iran to hold biggest naval war games - Jan 06, 2012
- Iran denies launching missile in Persian Gulf - Jan 01, 2012
- Tehran threatens to block Strait of Hormuz - Dec 28, 2011
- Iran warns US battleship to keep out of Gulf - Jan 03, 2012
- Iran monitors US warships movement in Persian Gulf: Navy chief - Sep 05, 2012
- Iran reports arrests of 'several' US spies - Jan 09, 2012
- Iranian troops begin military drill - Jan 08, 2012
- US Navy rescues 13 Iranians from Somali pirates - Jan 07, 2012
- Iran to shut Hormuz Strait if threatened: Officials - Jul 07, 2012
- Pentagon warns Iran against blocking oil route - Dec 29, 2011
- Iran test-fires new missiles - Jan 01, 2012
- Two US Navy vessels collide in Strait of Hormuz (Lead) - Mar 20, 2009
- US seeks EU sanctions to force Iran back into talks - Jan 21, 2012
- Iran seeks regional cooperation for Persian Gulf's security - Apr 30, 2012
- Israel to use all means to stop Iran's nuclear programme - Feb 16, 2012
Tags: 5th fleet, cooperation efforts, ddg, deployment, export route, fleet area, guided missile destroyer, gulf of oman, local time, maritime security, moscow, oil tanker, persian gulf, ria novosti, security cooperation, security operations, strait of hormuz, us navy, uss porter ddg 78