US warns Syria against interfering in LebanonOctober 7th, 2008 - 6:09 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Oct 7 (Xinhua) The US Monday warned against Syria’s alleged interference in Lebanon after recent terrorist attacks in Damascus.”The recent terrorist attacks that took place in Tripoli (Lebanon) and Damascus should not serve as a pretext for further Syrian military engagement or should not be used to interfere in Lebanon’s internal affairs,” State Department spokesman Robert Wood said.
“Obviously we’re concerned about this type of activity along the border and that must not lead to any further interference on the part of Syria into Lebanon’s internal affairs,” Wood said.
“The Syrian government is well aware of our views with regard to any kind of military activity along the border,” the spokesman added.
Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said earlier last week that the situation in North Lebanon posses a danger to the situation in Syria, a statement which was interpreted by many observers as a pretext to attack that country.
The US administration froze diplomatic relations with Syria after the assassination of former Lebanese premier Rafik Hariri in 2005.
Washington blames Syria of having involvement in the crime, though it denied the accusation.
- Syrian rebels set free one of 11 Lebanese pilgrims - Aug 26, 2012
- Syrian president ready for honest effort to solve crisis - Mar 11, 2012
- Iran rejects foreign intervention in Syria - Aug 08, 2012
- Syrian president warns against foreign intervention - Sep 18, 2011
- Lebanon halts ship carrying arms for Syria rebels - Apr 29, 2012
- At least 55 killed in Syria pro-democracy violence - Mar 26, 2011
- Top UN official to visit Syria - Aug 14, 2012
- UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit Russia - Mar 22, 2012
- Russia hits out at West's 'chilling' stance on Syria - Jul 25, 2012
- Syria 'surprised' by Qatar's call to send Arab troops into the country - Jan 17, 2012
- Syrian defence minister, deputy killed in Damascus bombing (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Annan admits failure of Syrian peace mission - Jul 08, 2012
- Russia ready to back Annan proposals on Syria in UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
- U.S. government sanctions three Syrian companies - Aug 10, 2011
- Syria was shocked at top Hezbollah operative's assassination two yrs back: Wikileaks - Dec 08, 2010
Tags: bashar al assad, diplomatic relations with syria, military activity, military engagement, north lebanon, president bashar, recent terrorist attacks, state department spokesman, syrian president bashar al, tripoli lebanon