US wants Pakistan to do more to bring Mumbai attackers to bookMarch 10th, 2009 - 11:30 am ICT by IANS
Washington, March 10 (IANS) US wants Pakistan to do more to bring those responsible for the Nov 26 terrorist attacks in Mumbai to justice.
“Overall our assessment has been that Pakistan has been providing some helpful information, but clearly, you know, more can be done,” State Department spokesman Robert Wood said Monday ahead of a meeting between Foreign Secretary Shivshankar Menon and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
“And what’s critical here is that we do everything in our power to try to bring the folks who are responsible for those attacks to justice,” he said.
Asked what would be the main issues coming up at the Clinton-Menon meeting, Wood said: “It’s hard for me to speculate on all the issues that may come up. Certainly, the Secretary is going to want to hear from the foreign secretary about how things are progressing with regard to the Mumbai investigation.
“But you know, I can’t guarantee that that will come up. I certainly expect that it would, and we’ll be very interested in hearing how things are going on that front,” he said.
Apart from the investigation into the terrorist attacks in Mumbai, the two officials would discuss the conflict in Afghanistan among a host of issues, he said.
But Indian officials would not say what transpired at Menon’s meetings with Clinton and other top officials like national security advisor James Jones, Deputy Secretary of State James B. Steinberg and US special representative on Afghanistan and Pakistan Richard Holbrooke.
- US says it values relationship with India as Menon begins dialogue - Mar 10, 2009
- Menon, Hillary discuss Mumbai terror attacks - Mar 10, 2009
- US, India for global efforts to prevent Mumbai type attacks - Mar 11, 2009
- Bilateral ties, terrorism, Afghanistan on Menon's agenda in US (Lead) - Mar 08, 2009
- Menon in US to discuss bilateral ties, Afghanistan - Mar 08, 2009
- Clinton's visit: India, US to discuss Afghanistan, Iran, n-deal (Lead) - May 04, 2012
- Talks with US, Pakistan on schedule, says Krishna - Jul 14, 2011
- Menon begins dialogue with Obama team (Lead) - Mar 09, 2009
- Pakistan must act against terror, says India - May 08, 2012
- India compliments US for 26/11 trial - May 27, 2011
- 'Eventual solution' to terrorism lies with Pakistan, says US - Jan 14, 2011
- US pushes India on n-liability law, talks tough on Pakistan (Evening Lead) - Jul 19, 2011
- India, US send strong signals to Pakistan, Iran (Roundup) - May 08, 2012
- Menon to discuss Mumbai terror attacks with US officials today - Mar 09, 2009
- US admits ISI-Taliban link, allays India's Afghan worries (Lead) - Jul 22, 2010
Tags: afghanistan, attackers, conflict, deputy secretary, hillary clinton, indian officials, james b steinberg, james jones, menon, national security advisor, pakistan, regard, richard holbrooke, secretary of state, state department spokesman, terrorist attacks