US wants more steps to solve Eurozone crisisJune 5th, 2012 - 12:06 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, June 4 (IANS) The White House has called on the European nations to take more steps to solve the worsening Eurozone crisis, saying the markets view the measures being taken so far as insufficient.
“There’s no question that markets remain skeptical that the measures taken thus far are sufficient to secure the recovery in Europe and remove the risk that the crisis will deepen,” Xinhua quoted White House spokesman Jay Carney as saying at a briefing Monday.
“So we obviously believe that more steps need to be taken,” he said.
The administration has been discussing with its European counterparts on the “difficult steps” need to be taken, the spokesman said.
These steps, he said, included “strict stress tests” for the banks and requirement for them to raise capital, which were both the measures being taken by the US during the 2008-2009 financial crisis.
Recent gloomy job data in the US and the uncertainty of the European debt crisis have raised doubts on the recovery of the US economy.
Days ago, US President Barack Obama sent Lael Brainard, the under secretary of treasury for international affairs, to Greece, Germany, Spain and France, the four key players in the Eurozone crisis. Many believe that Washington is increasing pressure on the Europeans to take more decisive measures.
“In his conversations, and obviously the conversations that Secretary Geithner, as well as Lael Brainard and others, have had with their counterparts, they’ve discussed how some of those lessons that we learned here might be applied in Europe,” Carney said.
- US Treasury Under Secretary highlights growing US-India economic partnership - Mar 04, 2011
- US pushing India for faster economic reforms - Jun 25, 2011
- Obama, Manmohan to work together to boost global economy (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- European crisis threatening global recovery: Geithner - Oct 07, 2011
- India, US to begin dialogue to boost trade, investment - Jun 27, 2011
- Bank of Canada holds lending rate at one percent - Dec 07, 2011
- Obama, Manmohan to work together to strengthen global economy - Jun 15, 2012
- Markets hammer Spanish bonds - Aug 03, 2011
- `Eurozone crisis to dent Canadian growth' - Jan 19, 2012
- European situation threat to US economic recovery: Obama - Jun 09, 2012
- Obama, Karzai talk on Afghan situation - Mar 09, 2012
- `Europe needs stronger firewall against debt crisis' - Jan 28, 2012
- `Europe's debt crisis to be prolonged' - Jul 06, 2012
- Build more credible financial firewall: US to Europe - Feb 26, 2012
- India, France to discuss eurozone crisis, AfPak, n-deal - Oct 19, 2011
Tags: banks, barack obama, carney, conversations, counterparts, debt crisis, doubts, europeans, financial crisis, geithner, greece, international affairs, lael brainard, measures, secretary of treasury, stress tests, uncertainty, white house, white house spokesman, xinhua