US wants closer ties with China: ObamaNovember 17th, 2011 - 3:09 pm ICT by IANS
Canberra, Nov 17 (IANS) The US wants close ties with Asia-Pacific countries including China, US President Barack Obama Thursday said in an address to the Australian parliament here.
“As the world’s fastest-growing region - and home to more than half the global economy - Asia is critical to achieving my highest priority: creating jobs and opportunity for the American people,” Obama said while addressing MPs and senators.
The US seeks further cooperation with China, Xinhua quoted Obama as saying.
“With most of the world’s nuclear powers and nearly half of humanity, this region will largely define whether the century ahead will be marked by conflict or cooperation, needless suffering or human progress,” he said.
“As president, I’ve therefore made a deliberate and strategic decision - as a Pacific nation, the US will play a larger and long-term role in shaping this region and its future, by upholding core principles and in close partnership with allies and friends,” he said.
- China seeks explanation from US on its Asia policy - Sep 03, 2012
- India's rise will reshape global system, says US - Nov 05, 2011
- India to deepen engagement with Asia-Pacific region - Dec 07, 2011
- India, China agree to work closely in Asia-Pacific region - Sep 07, 2012
- US to increase military activities in Australia: Obama - Nov 16, 2011
- Democrats to continue long-term strategic partnership with India - Sep 05, 2012
- Important for China to communicate with US: Hu - Nov 13, 2011
- US to redeploy naval fleet in Asia-Pacific region - Jun 02, 2012
- Obama, Manmohan Singh to meet in Bali Nov 18 - Nov 10, 2011
- Engaging India, China a challenge: Pentagon nominee - Nov 19, 2011
- Clinton pushes India to promote democracy in Myanmar - Jul 20, 2011
- 'US-led war games detrimental to Asia-Pacific stability' - Aug 05, 2012
- China, US should promote peace in Asia-Pacific: Hu - May 03, 2012
- Chinese President Hu proposes four points to improve US relations - Jan 18, 2011
- Shangri La Dialogue: 'Anodyne' Antony belied expectations (Comment) - Jun 08, 2012
Tags: allies, asia pacific countries, australian parliament, barack obama, canberra, close ties, conflict, cooperation with china, core principles, global economy, human progress, mps, nuclear powers, pacific nation, parliament, partnership, priority, senators, suffering, xinhua