US vice president-elect arrives in Pakistan for talksJanuary 9th, 2009 - 7:47 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Jan 9 (DPA) US vice president-elect Joe Biden arrived in Pakistan Friday as part of a tour of the South Asian region less than a fortnight before his inauguration, officials said.Biden, who is accompanied by a congressional delegation, will be holding discussions with Pakistan’s top political and military leadership on “bilateral relations and the regional situation,” an official of the Pakistani foreign ministry said.
The US senator was scheduled to meet Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani and Chief of the Army Staff General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani.
Although the ministry official did not speak about any specific item on the agenda, it was believed the talks would focus on tensions in the aftermath of the Mumbai terrorist attacks and Pakistan’s role in the US-led fight against terrorism along the Afghan frontier.
Pakistan’s tribal regions are considered a safe haven for Taliban and Al Qaeda militants, who regularly launch cross-border attacks on international forces operating in Afghanistan.
Relations between Washington and Islamabad are showing signs of strain due to dozens of US airstrikes on militant targets inside Pakistan in recent months.
The government in Islamabad has repeatedly said that such attacks would prove counter-productive to the common goal of rooting out terrorism and extremism.
- ISAF commander to visit Pakistan Thursday - Aug 02, 2012
- Building mutual trust key to defeating terror: Zardari - Apr 27, 2012
- Pakistan vows stiff retaliation if attacked again (Lead) - Dec 02, 2011
- Unilateral incursion into Pakistan will be disastrous: daily - Oct 20, 2011
- Senator Kerry meets Pakistan Army chief - May 16, 2011
- "I never get late in appointment with a General", says Biden, referring to Gen Kayani - Jan 13, 2011
- US patience on Pak's indecision on N.Waziristan operation running out, warns Joe Biden - Jan 13, 2011
- Kayani warns US against anti-Pakistan offensive - Oct 19, 2011
- US general meets Kayani, discusses Haqqani network - Sep 24, 2011
- CENTCOM chief discusses US-Pak military cooperation with Wynne - Apr 08, 2011
- Zardari, top US commander meet - Jun 26, 2010
- NATO commander meets Pakistan army chief - Sep 10, 2011
- Kayani gets Spain's highest military honour - Sep 16, 2011
- `Pakistan ready to communicate with coalition forces' - Dec 14, 2011
- Pak warns US against "new great game" in Afghanistan - Jan 13, 2011