US varsity honours Narayana MurthyMay 16th, 2012 - 8:05 pm ICT by IANS
Tampa (Florida) May 16 (IANS) The University of South Florida has honoured Infosys founder N.R. Narayana Murthy with the Global leadership and Free Enterprise Awards for his leadership and contributions to the international business world.
Presenting Infosys chairman emeritus Murthy with the awards at the Patel Centre for Global Sustainability here Monday, USF President Judy Genshaft praised him for his entrepreneurial spirit, according to a university press release.
Earlier, in an informal conversation with past and present students, Murthy said because of his middle class background, it was not as difficult for his company to maintain its values as it might be for the mass of people eking out a living.
“You need a spirit of sacrifice and you need to have trust,” he said.
Murthy explained how the company’s ethos has its roots in the very first meeting held at his house in Mumbai with his six fellow founders. Their discussion was focused on profitability.
Murthy focused their attention on “seeking respect”, “living in harmony with society” and making sure “you don’t shortchange your customers,” he said. When you do those things, “revenue will come. Profit will come”.
In response to a question from about the chances of Murthy entering politics, he mentioned his preference for “rational discussion” and the difficulty the political world offers for such and expressed some hesitation.
Kaushal Chari, chair of the USF information systems and decision sciences department, said Murthy’s story is inspiring for students.
“He’s a world-class business leader,” said Chari, who leads a study abroad trip to India every year for business students.
- Narayana Murthy among Fortune's 12 'greatest entrepreneurs' - Mar 28, 2012
- Banker Kamath to succeed Narayana Murthy at Infosys (Roundup) - May 01, 2011
- Renowned banker K.V. Kamath new Infosys chairman (Night Lead) - May 01, 2011
- Infosys' Murthy pitches for Indians to study in Japan - Feb 27, 2012
- Bangalore professor among six Infosys' Prize winners - Nov 16, 2011
- Kalam awards Infosys prizes to six noted scientists - Jan 09, 2012
- US varsity launches undergraduate certificate in India studies - Jul 27, 2012
- Kaushik Basu to head Infosys' science prize jury - Apr 10, 2012
- I am hopeful about Infosys Kolkata project: Narayan Murthy - Aug 03, 2012
- Bill Gates wishes Murthy as he retires from Infosys - Aug 20, 2011
- Infosys names K.V. Kamath as new chairman (Third Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- Infosys braces to face twin challenges of clients - Jun 09, 2012
- Co-founder Narayana Murthy bids adieu to Infosys - Aug 19, 2011
- Mentor our IT groups, Bengal urges Narayana Murthy - Jul 05, 2011
- Colourful start for second World Kannada meet - Mar 11, 2011
Tags: business leader, business students, chairman emeritus, decision sciences department, entering politics, entrepreneurial spirit, first meeting, free enterprise, global leadership, global sustainability, informal conversation, international business world, judy genshaft, living in harmony, middle class background, n r narayana murthy, narayana murthy, university of south florida, usf president, world class business