US urges Musharraf, Benazir to work togetherNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:30 am ICT by admin
“We would like to encourage moderate political forces and we consider, we think that Musharraf is a moderate political element, and so is Bhutto,” he added.
Negroponte told the Public Broadcasting Service that this was “a very critical time in Pakistani politics” and Washington was encouraging moderate political forces in that country to work together, the daily reported.
Pakistan has been an “absolutely critical country in the war on terror and an indispensable partner,” Negroponte said.
Meanwhile, the US expressed its happiness over Benazir’s return to Pakistan.
“We certainly look forward to seeing the election process move forward and see and certainly encourage all those who share the vision that we have and that Musharraf and others have for Pakistan’s future to participate and participate actively,” US State Department Deputy Spokesman Tom Casey said at a briefing.
The US desires to see Pakistan “develop its democracy, to continue its advance towards being a peaceful, modern, moderate Islamic state, and we certainly want to see as part of that process free, fair and transparent elections take place, The News quoted Casey, as saying.
Commenting on the US-Pakistan relations, he said these are wide-ranging and not confined to fighting terrorism, but also include economic development cooperation as in the FATA.
According to the US media reports, the Bush administration played a key role in arranging a crucial meeting between the two Pakistani leaders in Abu Dhabi in July this year and has engaged with them since then.
But this is the first time that senior US officials have publicly acknowledged Washington’s desire to bring the two Pakistani leaders close, The News reported.(ANI)
- Why doesn't judiciary act against Musharraf in Benazir case: Zardari - Jan 08, 2012
- "We know at whose house Benazir murder plot was hatched": Malik - Mar 13, 2011
- Musharraf killed my mother: Bilawal Bhutto - May 25, 2012
- US reiterates support for India's role in Afghanistan - Jul 04, 2012
- Pakistan may have faced India, US after 9/11: Musharraf - Sep 10, 2011
- Danger for Musharraf if proceedings commenced against him in Benazir murder case - Feb 11, 2011
- Zardari hails Bhutto, recalls Simla pact - Jan 05, 2012
- US rejects Pakistan call to intervene in Kashmir issue - Oct 23, 2010
- Arrest warrant issued against Musharraf (Second Lead) - Feb 12, 2011
- US, Pakistan relationship at its lowest ebb: Musharraf - Jan 15, 2012
- Musharraf the 'murderer' of Benazir Bhutto: PPP Secy Gen - Oct 06, 2010
- Pakistan to tap Interpol for Musharraf's arrest - Feb 25, 2012
- US sees progress on key issues before Obama visit (Lead) - Oct 28, 2010
- Musharraf may be returning to his own grief: Daily - Jan 26, 2012
- Musharraf can't claim constitutional immunity in Benazir assassination case: Pak jurists - Feb 16, 2011
Tags: benazir, bhutto, crucial, deputy spokesman, development cooperation, fighting terrorism, indispensable partner, islamic state, musharraf, negroponte, pakistan relations, pakistani leaders, pakistani politics, political element, political forces, public broadcasting service, tom casey, transparent elections, us state department, war on terror