US unmanned Predator drones could assassinate Gaddafi: HagueApril 25th, 2011 - 12:35 pm ICT by ANI
Tripoli, Apr 25 (ANI): British Foreign Secretary William Hague has indicated that American unmanned Predator drones, which have been used to take out al-Qaeda leaders in Pakistan and Afghanistan, could be used to assassinate Libyan leader Colonel Muammar Gaddafi.
This indication came as the combat operations continue in the besieged Libyan city of Misrata, the Daily Mail reports.
Although the Gaddafi regime had claimed that it would move out of Misrata, it failed to live up to its promise.
Over 50 people in the city were killed, and hundreds of others were injured, after Gaddafi’s forces fired cluster bombs, mortars and tank shells into safe civilian zones.
US President Barack Obama had given permission to use two Predators over the Libyan skies last week, and yesterday, U.S. senators Obama to authorise launching air strikes to kill Gaddafi, to ‘cut the head off the snake’.
Meanwhile, Hague said Gaddafi’s claim to pull his army out of Misrata might just be a cover for using ‘insurgent-type of warfare’.
“Reports of the Gaddafi forces completely pulling out of Misrata seem to be exaggerated. This may be cover for actually using more insurgent-type warfare without any uniforms and without tanks,” Hague added.
The paper quoted a man belong to Sirte, Gaddafi’s birthplace and stronghold, as saying that Gaddafi’s loyalists had told people there that they were supposed to fight Algerians and Al Qaeda terrorists who had taken control of Misrata.
“They put army units behind us so that we couldn’t run away. We were told we would die if we did - and that the only way we would live is if we killed the entire enemy. Gaddafi is a criminal and a murderer,” he added.
Yesterday, the US military had confirmed that its first attack by an unmanned Predator drone aircraft had destroyed a Libyan government multiple rocket launcher near Misrata. (ANI)
- NATO forces tried to assassinate Gaddafi: Libyan official - Apr 25, 2011
- US' first unmanned Predator attack destroys Libyan govt. multiple rocket launcher - Apr 24, 2011
- NATO urged to adopt Gaddafi's assassination policy - Apr 25, 2011
- Muammar Gaddafi buried at secret location in desert - Oct 25, 2011
- Gaddafi forces firing cluster bombs into residential neighborhoods in Misrata - Apr 16, 2011
- 25 Libyan tanks destroyed Sunday: NATO commander - Apr 10, 2011
- Gaddafi's son vows to avenge father's death - Oct 23, 2011
- Obama approves use of Predator drones to tackle Gaddafi forces in Libya - Apr 22, 2011
- Gaddafi's family to sue NATO - Oct 26, 2011
- US stopped 'Gaddafi's deadly advance': Obama (Lead) - Mar 29, 2011
- Finally, a hunted Gaddafi bleeds to death - Oct 20, 2011
- Libyan interim PM assures fair trial of Gaddafi's son (Lead) - Nov 20, 2011
- NTC seeks Gaddafi family's extradition - Oct 21, 2011
- Cameron rules out invading Libya over fears of alienating Arabs - Apr 18, 2011
- Gaddafi scavenged for food in his final days - Nov 08, 2011
Tags: air strikes, algerians, army units, barack obama, bombs mortars, cluster bombs, combat operations, daily mail, gaddafi regime, libyan government, libyan leader, loyalists, mail reports, muammar gaddafi, multiple rocket launcher, predator drone aircraft, secretary william, tank shells, unmanned predator drones, william hague