US TV documentary to unmask Iraqi weapons ‘expert’ as a fraudNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:19 am ICT by admin
Alwan claimed to have been a highly regarded chemical engineer working on the production of mobile biological weapons at a plant in Djerf al-Nadaf.
Senior officials in the German intelligence service, the BND, who wrote to the CIA warning his account was vague, second-hand and impossible to check, discredited curveball’s claims in 2002. They also thought he was psychologically unstable.
According to The Independent, his role in the build-up to the war was exposed in a detailed investigation by the Los Angeles Times, in which he was dismissed as an “out-and-out” fabricator who should have aroused scepticism in the CIA.
The LA Times said Curveball was the brother of a senior aide to Ahmed Chalabi, then leader of the Iraqi National Congress, and reported that neither the Pentagon nor the CIA knew exactly who he was.
Alwan is named for the first time in an edition of the US network CBS’s documentary 60 Minutes to be broadcast tomorrow. The report is already on the programme’s web pages. The documentary assumes he is still living in Germany, under a false name. (ANI)
- Powell questions why CIA never told him of unreliability of Iraq defector's WMD claims - Feb 17, 2011
- Iraq war: Defector says he lied about WMDs - Feb 16, 2011
- Defector "Curve Ball" reveals how he fooled Western intelligence into attacking Saddam - Mar 14, 2011
- Iraqi defector admits lying about Iraq WMD to get rid of Saddam Hussein regime - Feb 16, 2011
- Iraq frees Saddam Hussein's interior minister - Jul 10, 2012
- West German spy agency 'employed about 200 former Nazi criminals' - Mar 20, 2010
- 25 killed in twin car bomb blasts in Iraq - Jun 21, 2011
- Iraqi legislators oppose execution of Saddam regime officials - Jul 17, 2011
- Saddam Hussein's secretary executed - Jun 07, 2012
- Army gunner challenges dismissal for marrying twice - Feb 06, 2011
- Saddam terror threat was limited: Ex-MI5 chief - Jul 20, 2010
- Putin a wife-beater while in KGB: German spy agency - Nov 03, 2011
- Iraq demands back 'Saddam bottom' taken by British soldier - Jan 17, 2012
- Bank union threatens one-day strike in March - Jan 18, 2012
- Pattinson to star in Saddam Hussein movie - May 04, 2012
Tags: ahmed chalabi, alwan, bnd, cbs, chemical engineer, cia, curveball, fabricator, german intelligence, intelligence service, iraqi national congress, iraqi weapons, la times, living in germany, political asylum, psychologically, refugee centre, scepticism, senior officials, tv documentary