US troops mistakenly kill six anti-Qaeda fighters in IraqMarch 22nd, 2008 - 5:12 pm ICT by admin
Tikrit (Iraq), March 22 (Xinhua) An American helicopter mistakenly opened fire on an Awakening Councils’ group patrol in Salahudin province, killing six fighters of the group, a provincial police source said Saturday. The incident took place at dawn in the Um al-Talayeb village south of the city of Samarra, some 120 km north of Baghdad, the source told Xinhua on condition of anonymity.
Two more fighters of the patrol were wounded by the helicopter attack and were transported by the US ground forces to their base for treatment, the source said.
The source criticised the US forces for the inefficiency in their coordination with the Iraqi anti-Qaeda groups of the Sunni tribal fighters, who supposedly have been frequently attacked by American troops by mistake.
The area where the incident took place has long been a stronghold of the Al Qaeda network in Iraq despite many offensives launched by the US and Iraqi security forces against the militants, the source said.
However, the US military has not confirmed the incident yet. Two days ago, a provincial police source said that a US gunship targeted a car on a main road near Samarra, killing six passengers.
The US military denied the allegation, saying a helicopter targeted “terrorists” while they were planting bombs.
- 12 killed in Iraq suicide attack - Feb 21, 2011
- 15 die in Iraq - Jul 23, 2012
- 10 killed, 30 injured in Iraq twin terror attack - Jul 28, 2011
- Iraq bans visits to Saddam Hussein's grave - Jan 22, 2012
- Suicide car bomb in Iraq kills three securitymen - Jun 06, 2011
- 2 killed, 16 injured in attacks in Iraq - Nov 13, 2011
- 10 killed in Iraq bomb attack - Oct 19, 2010
- TV host killed in Iraq bombing - Apr 04, 2012
- Suicide bomber kills 11 in Iraq - Dec 03, 2009
- 63 killed in Iraq as violence escalates - Aug 15, 2011
- Four killed in Iraq violence - Jul 19, 2011
- 10 killed in Iraq bombing - Nov 03, 2011
- 6 killed, 10 wounded in Iraq attacks - Apr 16, 2012
- Seven killed, 24 injured in Iraq attacks - Jun 11, 2010
- Eight people killed, 27 injured in Iraq attacks (Lead) - Jun 11, 2010
Tags: al qaeda, al qaeda network, allegation, american troops, anonymity, baghdad, bombs, gunship, helicopter attack, inefficiency, iraqi security, militants, place at dawn, police source, provincial police, security forces, stronghold, tikrit iraq, us military, xinhua