US to release $1.5 bn in Libyan fundsAugust 26th, 2011 - 8:02 am ICT by IANS
United Nations, Aug 26 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The US will unfreeze $1.5 billion in Libyan assets to provide humanitarian aid to cash-strapped opposition forces fighting to overthrow Muammar Gaddafi’s regime, a source at UN headquarters said.
The Libyan funds in US banks have been frozen under UN Resolution 1970 to discourage Gaddafi from using force against protesters demanding democratic reforms in the oil-rich North African country.
The released funds are expected to be split in three equal parts and distributed as - $500 million to international humanitarian organisation working in Libya, $500 million will cover expenses for deliveries of fuel and humanitarian cargoes and the remaining $500 million will be spent on education and health care.
A draft resolution prepared by Washington says none of the funds could be used for purchases of weaponry, non-lethal military equipment or any other military-related assets.
The uprising against Muammar Gaddafi’s 42-year rule began in February. An international military operation “to protect civilians” in Libya began March 19 following a UN resolution.
Rebel forces are controlling large swaths of the country and most of the capital, Tripoli.
Libya’s rebel National Transitional Council announced Thursday it would soon start governing the country from Tripoli.
- EU to unfreeze Libyan banks' assets - Dec 22, 2011
- Libyan rebels ask for weapons, says Italy - Apr 13, 2011
- US lifts most sanctions against Libya - Dec 17, 2011
- Gaddafi's son to remain in Niger - Nov 16, 2011
- Libyan rebels sell weapons to Al Qaeda: Report - Apr 03, 2011
- UN chief discusses Libya with regional organisations - Aug 27, 2011
- Gaddafi warns of ending cooperation with EU - Mar 11, 2011
- Libyan leader Gaddafi threatens to attack Europe - Jul 09, 2011
- Russia backs NATO action in Libya - Aug 12, 2011
- Gaddafi predicts end of rebels, NATO - Aug 15, 2011
- 'France, Britain to continue military operation in Libya' - Sep 16, 2011
- Libyan rebels council seeks Arab League recognition - Mar 12, 2011
- Gaddafi threatens to kill Berlusconi: Italian daily - Jul 31, 2011
- Chavez sends letter to Gaddafi wishing him victory - Aug 07, 2011
- US stopped 'Gaddafi's deadly advance': Obama (Lead) - Mar 29, 2011
Tags: bn, cargoes, civilians, deliveries, democratic reforms, draft resolution, humanitarian aid, humanitarian organisation, march 19, military equipment, military operation, muammar gaddafi, national transitional council, opposition forces, protesters, rebel forces, ria novosti, tripoli libya, uprising, weaponry