US to redeploy naval fleet in Asia-Pacific regionJune 2nd, 2012 - 6:25 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, June 2 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The US will re-deploy bulk of its naval fleet in the Pacific Ocean by 2020, US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta has said.
“By 2020, the navy will reposture its forces from today’s roughly 50-50 percent split between the Pacific and the Atlantic to about a 60-40 split between those oceans,” Panetta said.
“That will include six aircraft carriers in this region, a majority of our cruisers, destroyers, combat ships and submarines,” he added.
Panetta was speaking at the 11th Asia Security Summit of the International Institute for Strategic Studies in Singapore Saturday.
Panetta rejected the suggestion that changes in the US military strategy were aimed at containing China’s growing influence.
“Some view the increased emphasis by the United States on the Asia-Pacific region as some kind of challenge to China. I reject that view entirely,” he said.
Panetta said: “President Obama has stated that the United States will play a larger role in this region over the decades to come. [As for defense policy], we will play a central role in promoting strong partnerships and strengthen the capabilities of the Pacific nations to defend and secure themselves.”
President Barack Obama announced in November 2011 that the Asia-Pacific region was a top priority of the country’s security policy.
- Shangri La Dialogue: 'Anodyne' Antony belied expectations (Comment) - Jun 08, 2012
- US to cut 7,000 Europe-based troops - Jan 13, 2012
- Russia to increase energy exports to Asia-Pacific - Sep 04, 2012
- US Navy to shift 60 percent fleet to Pacific - Jun 13, 2012
- 'US sending wrong signals over South China Sea' - Aug 05, 2012
- Asia-Pacific key to Russia's future: Putin - Sep 06, 2012
- China seeks explanation from US on its Asia policy - Sep 03, 2012
- 'US focus on Asia-Pacific will help India contain China' - Jun 08, 2012
- US Defence Secretary to visit India in June - May 23, 2012
- Want to cut red-tape in defence ties with India: US - Jul 23, 2012
- Asia-Pacific issues should be settled bilaterally: Antony (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Chinese, US defence chiefs hold talks - Sep 18, 2012
- India to keep an eye on Malacca Straits with new naval base - Jul 10, 2012
- India preparing to fight limited conflict with China: US official (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Putin to meet Clinton for Syria discussions - Sep 07, 2012
Tags: aircraft carriers, asia pacific region, asia security, barack obama, combat ships, cruisers, defense secretary, destroyers, international institute for strategic studies, leon panetta, military strategy, naval fleet, oceans, pacific ocean, partnerships, ria novosti, security policy, security summit, ships and submarines, top priority