US to judge Iran’s deal with IAEA on actionMay 23rd, 2012 - 5:00 am ICT by IANS
Washington, May 23 (IANS) The potential deal between Iran and the UN nuclear watchdog on nuclear inspection was a “step forward”, said the White House Tuesday while stressing that the deal would be ultimately judged by Tehran’s actions.
The White House statement came after Yukiya Amano, director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), announced Tuesday that an agreement on probing suspected work on Iran’s controversial nuclear programme was expected to be signed soon, Xinhua reported.
“I think it’s important to note that the announcement today is a step forward,” White House spokesman Jay Carney told reporters at a briefing. “It’s an agreement in principle. It represents a step in the right direction.”
“But as we’ve said in the past about the totality of Iran’s obligations and their fulfillment of them, we will make judgments about Iran’s behaviour based on actions, not just promises or agreements,” he noted.
The potential agreement is meant to give the UN nuclear watchdog access to sites, scientists and documents it seeks to address international concerns over Iran’s nuclear activities.
The IAEA’s announcement came a day before the nuclear talks between Iran and the world’s major powers, namely Britain, China, France, Russia, and the US plus Germany, are due to start in Baghdad, the Iraqi capital.
- Iran, IAEA to hold talks in May - Apr 28, 2012
- Iran to allow IAEA to visit its military base - Mar 06, 2012
- Iran not pursuing n-arms, says Khamenei - Feb 22, 2012
- IAEA demands access to Iranian military site - Sep 10, 2012
- No agreement reached with Iran over nuclear issue: IAEA chief - Feb 22, 2012
- IAEA inspectors barred from Iranian military site (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- IAEA to meet Iran over access to n-site - Jun 04, 2012
- There's still time and space for diplomacy on Iran: US - Aug 14, 2012
- 'IAEA resolution not to stop Iran's nuclear programme' - Nov 20, 2011
- US using IAEA as a tool: Iran - Nov 07, 2011
- IAEA can't confirm Iran nuke program is peaceful - Mar 02, 2010
- Iran says IAEA's documents on its missile programme 'baseless' - Nov 06, 2011
- Obama orders freeze on Iranian property - Feb 07, 2012
- IAEA to send high-level team to Iran - Nov 18, 2011
- Iran working on atomic bomb: IAEA - Nov 09, 2011
Tags: atomic energy agency, baghdad, carney, fulfillment, international atomic energy, international atomic energy agency, international atomic energy agency iaea, international concerns, iraqi capital, judgments, nuclear activities, nuclear inspection, nuclear talks, step in the right direction, tehran, totality, watchdog, white house, white house spokesman, xinhua