US teacher sues school for firing her over ‘fornication’June 10th, 2010 - 6:00 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, June 10 (ANI): A former teacher from Florida has filed a federal discrimination lawsuit against a Christian school in St. Cloud after administrators fired her because of “fornication” claims.
Jarrestta Hamilton, who was newlywed and pregnant, and teaching fourth graders at Southland Christian School in April 2009, said it was about that time when she approached the administration to talk about “maternity leave”.
She said when asked, she admitted that the baby was conceived three weeks before the wedding. A week later, she said the school fired her.
Attorney Ed Gay is helping Hamilton sue the school, claiming that her termination amounts to discrimination based on her pregnancy and marital status.
“If they’re going to single her out because she conceived prior to marriage, but allow people to remain employed who conceived during a marriage, isn’t that discriminating against her based on her marital status?” Fox News quoted Gay as asking.
School administrator Rob Ennis said the school had not seen the lawsuit.
“At this time, we’re going to seek legal counsel, and I really don’t feel comfortable making any comment to be honest with you,” he said.
A letter sent to Hamilton from the school, asked her not to return because of “fornication”, sex outside of marriage.
It also claims that Hamilton knew about the school’s moral stance through the employment application process.
“Just a vague reference to upholding standards and purposes of the school,” Gay said.
“That’s what they’re going on as a ‘morals’ clause,” he added.
Hamilton also claims that the school violated her privacy by telling parents and students why she was fired. (ANI)
- Teacher Of Christian School Fired On Fornication Charges - Jun 12, 2010
- Christian School Teacher Fired For Pre-Marital Fornication - Jun 12, 2010
- Teacher Fired For Having Premarital Sex - Jun 15, 2010
- Jarretta Hamilton, A Teacher, Fired For Having Premarital Sex - Jun 15, 2010
- Teacher fired for having premarital sex with her fiance - Jun 15, 2010
- 60-yr-old Houston strip club waitress wins age discrimination case - Jan 18, 2011
- Jessica Ennis 'labelled "overweight" by UK Athletics' - May 25, 2012
- 16 million Chinese women married to gay men - Feb 03, 2012
- Madonna sued for $10 mn over Russian concert comments - Aug 18, 2012
- Courtney Love in legal trouble again - Jul 12, 2012
- Marriage is only for a man and a woman: Julia Gillard - Mar 04, 2011
- British schools to teach kids about gay marriage - Feb 27, 2012
- American Apparel CEO's lawyer says nude photos show ex-worker wasn't sex prisoner - Mar 26, 2011
- Senior bishops call for end to persecution of Christians in Britain - Mar 28, 2010
- Betty White Wants to Legalize Gay Marriage - Oct 30, 2010
Tags: application process, discrimination lawsuit, employment application, ennis, fox news, gay, legal counsel, marital status, marriage, maternity, moral stance, morals, newlywed, parents, pregnancy, purposes of the school, school administrator, southland christian school, st cloud, vague reference