US talk show host Oprah Winfrey was considered for Obama’’s vacant Senate seatJanuary 27th, 2009 - 1:38 pm ICT by ANI
Chicago (Illinois,US), Jan.27 (ANI): Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich has told ABC’’s Good Morning America that he considered offering the Illinois senate seat vacated by President Barack Obama to talk show host Oprah Winfrey.
According to the BBC, he told ABC that Winfrey, one of America’’s wealthiest women, would have been unlikely to accept.
“She was obviously someone with a much broader bully pulpit than other senators,” he said. Winfrey has said she did not know that she was being considered as a potential senator and that she was “pretty amused by the whole thing”.
“If I had been watching as I normally watch from the treadmill, I probably would have fallen off,” she told the Siruis XM radio station. Winfrey said she thought she could be a senator but that she was “just not interested”. Blagojevich’’s eventual choice for the seat, Illinois attorney general Roland Burris, took office in January after initially being blocked by senators.
Under the 17th amendment of the US constitution, state governors have the power to appoint temporary replacements for senators who resign, die or are expelled, until special elections can be held. (ANI)
- Oprah Winfrey "amused" by open Senate seat offer - Jan 27, 2009
- Woman excuses herself from jury duty for Oprah show - Apr 28, 2011
- Facing impeachment, Illinois governor cites Gandhi - Jan 27, 2009
- Former Illinois Gov. Blagojevich sentenced to 14 years for corruption - Dec 08, 2011
- Blagojevich terms Illinois Senate impeachment trial a ''Kangaroo Court'' - Jan 27, 2009
- Rod Blagojevich Convicted Only For Lying To The FBI - Aug 18, 2010
- Former US governor sentenced to 14 years in prison - Dec 08, 2011
- Senator in Obama's vacated seat says he was asked for donations - Feb 15, 2009
- Former Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich Declines To Testify - Jul 22, 2010
- Tainted Blagojevich stuns all by naming ex-Illinois AG to replace Obama in Senate - Dec 31, 2008
- Indian-American fundraiser under US scanner - Apr 13, 2011
- Defiant Illinois governor names pick for Obama seat - Dec 31, 2008
- Burris set to replace Obama in Senate - Jan 13, 2009
- Former Illinois Governor Blagojevich found guilty of lying to FBI - Aug 18, 2010
- Defiant Burris insists he will be Obamas replacement in US Senate from Illinois - Jan 06, 2009
Tags: 17th amendment, barack obama, bully pulpit, chicago illinois, constitution state, good morning america, governor rod blagojevich, illinois attorney general, illinois governor, illinois senate, oprah winfrey, radio station, replacements, rod blagojevich, roland burris, siruis, state governors, treadmill, us constitution, vacant senate seat