US suspends defence talks with PakistanNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:30 am ICT by admin
Morrell is travelling with US Defence Secretary Robert Gates, who also on Monday called for Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf to return his country to a constitutional form of government.
“We urge President Musharraf to return his country to a law-based, constitutional and democratic rule as soon as possible,” The News quoted Gates as telling reporters in Beijing.
Gates said Musharraf’s weekend declaration of a state of emergency, and the suspension of the constitution, were “disturbing”.
Gates is monitoring the fast-developing situation in Pakistan,even as the Pentagon said that the declaration of state of emergency in that country would not affect U.S. military support to Islamabad.
“Pakistan is a very important ally in the war on terror and he is closely following the developments there,” Morrell told reporters.
U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice is taking the administration’s lead in dealing with the situation, Morrell said.
He also confirmed that Gates had not spoken to Musharraf and had no plans to. (ANI)
- Pentagon says emergency does not affect US support to Pakistan - Nov 14, 2007
- US has had "special operator" forces in Pakistan for some time now: Pentagon - Dec 22, 2010
- Gates to visit Japan, South Korea ahead of NATO meeting - Oct 15, 2009
- US, South Korea plan military exercises - Jul 15, 2010
- Pentagon denies reports of US troops being captured in Iran - Sep 20, 2010
- Kayani, Qureshi to attend upcoming US-Pak strategic dialogue - Oct 08, 2010
- Pentagon demands Afghan war files back, erased - Aug 06, 2010
- WikiLeaks expose: Pentagon wants Afghan war files back (Lead) - Aug 06, 2010
- Obama backs closer India-US ties - Mar 31, 2010
- 'Opposing US' arms sales to Taiwan is part of Chinese policy' - Jan 10, 2011
- Obama to visit Pakistan only in 2011 - Oct 21, 2010
- US reiterates commitment to Guantanamo prison closure - Apr 26, 2011
- US wants lasting dialogue with Chinese military - Oct 28, 2009
- US suspends defence talks with Pakistan - Nov 14, 2007
- Republican House hands Obama big victory over new warplane - Feb 17, 2011
Tags: democratic rule, eric edelman, geoff morrell, islamabad pakistan, military support, pentagon said, pentagon spokesman, political conditions, president musharraf, president pervez musharraf, reporters, robert gates, secretary of defence, secretary robert, situation in pakistan, state condoleezza rice, state of emergency, urge, us defence secretary, war on terror