US state assembly honours Sri Sri Ravi ShankarJuly 7th, 2008 - 9:35 pm ICT by IANS
New York, July 7 (IANS) Indian spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar has been honoured by the New Jersey general assembly and by the city of Edison for his organisation’s initiatives in the US and its service to the world at large. The state assembly passed a resolution acknowledging that the guru, currently visiting the US, has been “furthering the best of human instincts, traits and characteristics, and promoting sustainable growth in poor rural communities”.
It also praised his Art of Living Foundation, “which assists at-risk youth in turning away from gang violence, drugs and alcohol toward a life of greater generosity and service”.
The foundation’s projects in the US include inner city youth leadership programmes, free trauma relief for survivors of tragedies such as Hurricane Katrina and the Virginia Tech shootings, special programmes for returning war veterans, prisoner reform, stress-elimination programmes for corporations and working adults, and human-values based programmes for children and youth.
The mayor of Edison and other leaders also honoured Sri Sri Ravi Shankar and his Art of Living Foundation July 4 for their service to the city and the world during a ceremony inaugurating a three-day meditation and yoga retreat conducted by the guru in the city, a foundation press release said.
Mayor Jun Choi declared July 4-6, which coincides with the US Independence Day, as “His Holiness Sri Sri Ravi Shankar Weekend in Edison” in front of 1,500 people participating in the course at the Raritan Exposition Centre.
“Sri Sri Ravi Shankar serves as a great leader and as a symbol of wisdom and encouragement through his teachings on spiritual values,” said Choi. “He shares his wisdom and ancient knowledge on how to achieve health and happiness.”
The Town Council of Edison also issued a Proclamation of Commendation for his universal initiatives.
“Sri Sri Ravi Shankar’s divine messages and teachings of developing the spirit of universal brotherhood and love amongst one another have provided a model and standard towards which all members of the human family should strive,” said Town Council member Sudhanshu Prasad.
The guru’s initiatives have benefited 300 million people in 145 countries, the press release said. He travels to more than 40 countries every year, sharing his vision of a violence-free, stress-free global family.
- Spiritual leader Ravi Shankar to visit Pakistan - Mar 09, 2012
- Argentina varsity to foster ties with Art of Living - Sep 07, 2012
- Argentine youth seek peace through Indian guru - Sep 09, 2012
- Argentines throng meditation session with Sri Sri Ravi Shankar - Sep 10, 2012
- Thousands of Argentines turn up to hear Indian guru - Sep 06, 2012
- Youth can bring reform: Sri Sri Ravi Shankar - Feb 26, 2012
- Ravi Shankar in Argentina to promote world peace - Sep 05, 2012
- Los Angeles church becomes Art of Living centre - Apr 13, 2010
- Art of Living ashram to open in China (Lead) - Oct 21, 2010
- Brief respite for poll officials before counting - Mar 04, 2012
- Assam is sitting on time bomb: Ravi Shankar - Aug 09, 2012
- Bhupen was 'a spiritual being': Ravi Shankar - Nov 09, 2011
- Mumbaikars participate in 'Yogathon' on World Health Day - Apr 07, 2012
- Sri Sri to meet Ramdev, hopeful deadlock will end (Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Sri Sri honoured with '2009 Culture in Balance' award - Oct 11, 2009
Tags: art of living foundation, divine messages, drugs and alcohol, exposition centre, health and happiness, holiness sri, human instincts, hurricane katrina, inner city youth, prisoner reform, ravi shankar, spiritual guru, sri ravi shankar, sri sri ravi, sri sri ravi shankar, stress elimination, symbol of wisdom, trauma relief, virginia tech shootings, yoga retreat