US splits blame for NATO strike, offers no apologyDecember 23rd, 2011 - 12:58 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Dec 23 (IANS) Even as a Pentagon report sought to split the blame for last month’s deadly NATO strike that killed 24 Pakistani soldiers, Washington refused to apologise for the incident that had plunged US-Pakistani relations to a new low.
The US military report released Thursday concluded that US forces “acted in self defence and with appropriate force after being fired upon” when they attacked.
Islamabad has demanded an apology for the Nov 26 incident, which led to a closure of border crossings used to bring supplies to NATO troops in Afghanistan and the expulsion of US troops from a base in southern Pakistan used for drone attacks.
Air Force Brig Gen Stephen Clark, who led the US probe, told reporters Thursday there were two key elements that contributed to the incident.
First, a mistake by a US officer that led to Pakistani officials being given the wrong location for the US attack, and second the “overarching lack of trust” between the two sides that made American commanders reluctant to share precise locations of their troops with Pakistani officers.
Pentagon officials expressed “our deepest regret” for the loss of life and the lack of proper coordination that led to it. But like other US officials, including President Barack Obama, before he declined to “apologise” for the incident.
Asked if the US would offer an apology to Pakistan after the Pentagon report, State Department spokesman Mark Toner said: “I would just say - and we have said - we’ve expressed our deep regret.”
However, Toner declined to “apologise” and in response to persistent questioning kept repeating “I think there’s a shared responsibility in this incident, and we’ve said very clearly that we accept responsibility for the mistakes that we made.”
Asked what was the diplomatic distinction between ‘regret’ and ‘apology’, Toner said: “I think we regret speaks to a sense of sympathy with the Pakistani people. I don’t know an apology - you can figure that out for your own.”
Toner also declined “to speak to the accuracy” of a New York Times report that the decision not to issue an actual apology came from the White House over the State Department’s objections as an apology would be a political liability for the President in an election year.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- NATO strike: US splits blame, but no apology to Pakistan (Lead) - Dec 23, 2011
- US military dialogue with Pakistan continues - Jan 04, 2012
- Pakistan to reopen supply routes to Afghanistan: Clinton (Lead) - Jul 04, 2012
- Apologise for aerial attacks, Pakistan tells NATO - Oct 06, 2010
- Pakistan right to be angry over NATO airstrike, says daily - Nov 28, 2011
- Pakistan's terror safe havens remain security challenge, says US - May 02, 2012
- Seven killed in Afghan clashes against Quran burning - Feb 24, 2012
- US declines to confirm Ilyas Kashmiri's killing - Jun 07, 2011
- US gave wrong coordinates to get permission for air strike - Dec 04, 2011
- US has specific security norms for flights to US - Sep 02, 2011
- US reiterates support for India's role in Afghanistan - Jul 04, 2012
- US declines apology for NATO strikes; McCain blames ISI - Dec 02, 2011
- Bounty for Hafiz Saeed to convict him, says US - Apr 05, 2012
- Pakistani leaders harp on US apology for NATO air strike (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- US military calls for more trust with Pakistan - Dec 27, 2011
Tags: air force brig, barack obama, border crossings, deadly nato, lack of trust, mark toner, military report, nato strike, nato troops in afghanistan, pakistani officials, pakistani soldiers, pentagon officials, pentagon report, precise locations, proper coordination, self defence, shared responsibility, southern pakistan, state department spokesman, troops in afghanistan