US spied on UK Foreign Office to gather crucial information about ministers: WikileaksFebruary 5th, 2011 - 4:28 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb 5 (ANI): The United States had ordered its diplomats to spy and gather information about the weaknesses of British Foreign Office ministers, and the strains in their professional relationships, according to latest revelations of Wikileaks.
The new revelations throw a new light on the “special relationship” between Britain and America, which has come under strain amid apparent indifference from the Obama administration towards Britain, The Telegraph reports.
According to the leaked cables, within weeks of the appointment of Ivan Lewis as a junior foreign minister in June 2009, US officials had briefed the office of Hillary Clinton, the US Secretary of State, about rumours that he was depressed and had a reputation as a bully.
“Contacts who know him well report ‘he’s very up one minute, very down the next’ and at least one FCO colleague has described Lewis as a ‘bully’,” the paper quoted the cables, as saying.
Clinton’s office, however, was keen for more information about “how Lewis works with Foreign Secretary Miliband and the FCO staff”. In reply, the US embassy in London had provided more gossip on Lewis in just over two months.
The cable added that Lewis “had been forced to apologize in 2007 to a female in his office who accused him of sexual harassment”, adding that Downing Street had apparently leaked the incident in 2008 to discredit Lewis after he had criticised Gordon Brown following a by-election defeat. (ANI)
- General Kayani major "obstacle" in almost done Indo-Pak deal on Kashmir - Apr 04, 2011
- WikiLeaks expose no 'sacred scriptures' or 'divine revelations': Pak minister - Dec 05, 2010
- US role in Mid_East stands discredited after WikiLeaks disclosures - Nov 29, 2010
- 'Egyptian President Mubarak 'turned down' black-market nuclear weapons deal' - Dec 20, 2010
- New WikiLeaks files 'to reveal American criticism of Mandela' - Nov 28, 2010
- MI6 warns of "unique" threat from home-grown terrorists: WikiLeaks - Feb 04, 2011
- Hillary Clinton's fondness for British Foreign Secretaries - Apr 16, 2011
- At CIA, WikiLeaks task force is - OMG! - 'WTF' - Dec 23, 2010
- US-UK share 'deep concerns' over Pakistan's nuke weapons programme: Wikileaks - Dec 01, 2010
- Russia urges US to respect rights of WikiLeaks suspect - Mar 09, 2012
- New 'WikiLeaks revelations' could damage allies' relationships, US tells UK - Nov 27, 2010
- WikiLeaks releases cables naming top secret sources - Aug 30, 2011
- Anonymous hack reveals corporate plans to discredit WikiLeaks - Feb 15, 2011
- Clinton branded G-4 'self-appointed front-runners' for UNSC: WikiLeaks - Nov 29, 2010
- US wrote off ex-British PM Brown for his 'abysmal track record': Wikileaks cables - Dec 03, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,