US sleuth links gurdwara shooting with Sikh murdersAugust 18th, 2012 - 11:30 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 18 (IANS) A detective in California is raising the possibility that the murders of two Sikh men there last year may be connected to the tragic shooting at a Sikh gurdwara in Oak Creek, Wisconsin.
“Given the fact they’re Sikh, there’s that possibility,” Detective Kevin Papineau of the Elk Grove Police Department, who has been investigating the California murders on March 4, 2011, told ABC News Friday.
Surinder Singh and Gurmej Atwal routinely walked around their neighbourhood, but on their stroll that day they were suddenly gunned down. Singh died at the scene. Atwal managed to hang on for six weeks in a hospital before passing away.
After white supremacist gunman Wade Michael Page killed six Sikh worshippers in the Oak Creek temple Aug 5, Papineau decided to alert the FBI about the possibility that the two incidents might be connected, according to ABC News.
“I’ve been in contact with FBI agents to try to rule in or rule out any possible connection. They’re looking into it and we haven’t made any progress toward ruling it in or out yet,” he was quoted as saying.
Authorities in Oak Creek, however, do not believe that there is any connection between the two incidents.
“From what I know of the situation I find it very unlikely,” Oak Creek Police chief John Edwards told ABC. “They may be trying to connect it, but I don’t think there’s anything there.”
- FBI joins probe into shooting of Sikhs in US - Mar 08, 2011
- Reward offered in killing of two Sikhs in US - Apr 16, 2011
- US Muslim group offers reward in shooting of two Sikhs - Mar 07, 2011
- Elderly Sikh man succumbs to gun injuries following 'hate attack' in N. California - Apr 16, 2011
- American Sikh Day celebrated at California Capitol - Apr 14, 2011
- Sikhs have faced over 700 attacks since 9/11 - Aug 06, 2012
- Gurdwara shooter motivated by hate: Romney - Aug 08, 2012
- Gurdwara shooting gunman identified as ex-soldier (Fourth Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Gurdwara gunshots heard in phone calls for help - Aug 16, 2012
- FBI asked to track anti-Sikh hate crimes - Sep 20, 2012
- Gurdwara shooter acted alone: FBI - Aug 09, 2012
- Ensure safety of Sikhs abroad, Sukbhir Badal tells PM - Mar 07, 2011
- Gurdwara gunman shot himself in head: FBI - Aug 09, 2012
- India reaches out to families hit by US gurdwara shooting - Aug 07, 2012
- Michelle Obama meets with gurdwara victims - Aug 24, 2012
Tags: abc news, atwal, chief john, detective, elk grove, fbi, grove police department, gunman, john edwards, murders, neighbourhood, oak creek wisconsin, papineau, police chief, possible connection, sikh gurdwara, sikh men, six weeks, surinder singh, worshippers