US, S.Korea to hold second joint naval drill to deter N.KoreaSeptember 24th, 2010 - 5:09 pm ICT by ANI
Seoul (S. Korea), Sept.24 (ANI): South Korea and the United States will hold anti-submarine drills next week in the waters west of the Korean Peninsula as a deterrent to North Korea, the U.S.-led United Nations Command (UNC) said Friday.
According to The China Daily, the five-day exercises will start on September 27. These exercises are the second joint military response by Seoul and Washington to the deadly sinking of the South Korean warship “Cheonan” in March, which has been blamed on Pyongyang.
The allies staged major joint military drills off the peninsula’s east coast in late July.
About 10 ships, including two U.S. guided missile destroyers and two submarines, and some 1,700 troops from the allies will be mobilized for the new round of drills, local media reported, quoting officials from Seoul’s Joint Chiefs of Staff.
The exercises were originally scheduled to be held in early September but were delayed for safety reasons related to Typhoon Malou arriving in South Korean waters during the exercise period. (ANI)
- S.Korea begins Yellow Sea anti-submarine drills, cocks a snook on N.Korea - Aug 05, 2010
- S Korea, US to hold more antisubmarine drills - Aug 19, 2010
- US, South Korea begin joint naval exercises - Jul 25, 2010
- U.S.-Korean joint military drill announced during Antony's Seoul visit - Sep 03, 2010
- Clinton to address North-South tensions during Seoul visit - May 26, 2010
- South Korea launches anti-submarine exercise - Aug 05, 2010
- US-South Korean military drills violate sovereignty: N.Korea - Jul 23, 2010
- North Korea gets army battle-ready: Report - May 25, 2010
- US-S. Korea conducts joint military drill amid war threats from N. Korea - Jul 26, 2010
- China expresses "deep concern" over US-ROK September military drills - Jul 22, 2010
- North Korea warns Seoul over military drill - Feb 19, 2012
- China opposes US-South Korea joint military exercise - Jul 02, 2010
- US aircraft carrier to join new South Korean naval drill - Aug 06, 2010
- China calls for emergency talks over Korea crisis - Nov 28, 2010
- North Korea warns of 'all-out war' in response to South's naval exercise - May 27, 2010
Tags: cheonan, chiefs of staff, china daily, early september, exercise period, guided missile, joint chiefs of staff, korea seoul, korean peninsula, local media, military drills, military response, missile destroyers, north korea, pyongyang, safety reasons, south korea, south korean waters, submarines, warship