US serial killer gets death penaltyAugust 13th, 2011 - 4:03 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 13 (IANS) A man who killed 11 women and dumped their remains around his house in the US state of Ohio was Friday sentenced to death, BBC reported.
Anthony Sowell, 51, was found guilty last month of aggravated murder, kidnapping and other charges in the 11 deaths.
In a court in Cleveland, US, Friday Judge Dick Ambrose read aloud the details of each murder before passing the sentence, BBC said.
The bodies were found after police went to arrest Sowell in October 2009 on a sexual assault allegation. His execution by lethal injection, scheduled Oct 29, 2012, is likely to be delayed by appeals, the broadcaster added.
The relatives of the victims were in court to hear the sentence.
Judge Ambrose described how the women’s bodies had been disposed of in bin bags and plastic sheets, then dumped around Sowell’s house and backyard.
After passing sentence, Judge Ambrose urged the relatives of the victims who had not forgiven Sowell to find a way to do so, suggesting that would be the only way they could move on, BBC said.
- Eleven-fold murder suspect held without bond in US - Nov 05, 2009
- 10 bodies found in Ohio house of horror - Nov 04, 2009
- Cleveland 'House of Death' victims yet to be identified - Nov 06, 2009
- Gang Leader Peter Anthony Cantu Executed 13 Years After Murdering Two Teenagers - Aug 19, 2010
- Man gets death for rape, murder of 75-year-old - Mar 13, 2012
- Nithari killings: Apex court sends Koli to the gallows (Third Lead) - Feb 15, 2011
- South African serial killer sentenced to life in prison for murdering 13 women - Jan 20, 2011
- Nithari killings: Apex court confirms death for Koli (Second Lead) - Feb 15, 2011
- Five found shot to death at San Francisco home - Mar 24, 2012
- Pune rape, murder convicts get death sentence - Mar 20, 2012
- Man gets life term for brother-in-law's murder - Apr 24, 2011
- Australian found guilty of killing three Indian siblings - Jul 03, 2012
- Pune rape, murder accused awarded death penalty (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Babysitter killer jailed for life - Jul 25, 2012
- Man gets death for burning alive daughter-in-law - Apr 03, 2012
Tags: allegation, anthony sowell, bbc, broadcaster, death penalty, deaths, dick, execution, judge dick ambrose, lethal injection, london, plastic sheets, relatives, serial killer, sexual assault, state of ohio