US senator reaffirms support for India in fight against terrorJanuary 15th, 2009 - 11:48 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Jan 15 (IANS) John Cornyn, an influential US senator, has reaffirmed his strong support for India and the critical importance of a strong America-India friendship in confronting the very real threat of terrorism.Cornyn, founder and co-chair of the Senate India Caucus, conveyed his support for New Delhi at a meeting Wednesday with Indian Ambassador to the US Ronen Sen, as they “discussed several issues important to the US-India relationship”.
“I’m pleased I had the opportunity to meet with Ambassador Sen this afternoon, and reaffirm my strong support for India and the critical importance of a strong friendship between the United States and India,” he stated after the meeting.
At the top of their agenda “was the recent horrific terrorist attacks on the Indian city of Mumbai and our nations’ shared fight against radical extremists”, Cornyn said offering his condolences for the hundreds of innocent lives lost in Mumbai.
Cornyn said they “discussed their mutual commitment to confronting the very real threat of terrorism and ways in which we might protect innocent lives from being taken in the future as a result of radical jihadists”.
Cornyn serves on the Armed Services, Judiciary and Budget Committees. He serves as the top Republican on the Judiciary Committee’s Immigration, Refugees and Border Security subcommittee and the Armed Services Committee’s Airland subcommittee.
He served previously as Texas Attorney General, Texas Supreme Court Justice, and Bexar County District Judge.
- US senators confident of 'true partnership' with India - Dec 01, 2011
- Obama names Indian-American to communications body - Nov 01, 2011
- US Congress adopts bipartisan resolution to honour Manmohan Singh - Nov 23, 2009
- Senators welcome Indian envoy on Capitol Hill (Lead) - Jul 29, 2009
- US lawmakers seek terrorist tag for Haqqani network - May 12, 2012
- Kazakhstan backs India's membership for UN Council - Apr 16, 2011
- US lawmakers warming up to rising India - Jul 29, 2009
- US ambassador volunteers service at Delhi school - Sep 24, 2010
- India-US cooperation benefits both nations, say senators - Jul 28, 2009
- US Senator says sorry for 'mistakenly' calling India a threat - Jul 27, 2009
- Pakistan slams US bill on Balochistan - Feb 18, 2012
- American leaders hail killing of Osama bin Laden - May 02, 2011
- Indian firms responsible for creating jobs in US - Mar 31, 2011
- Obama proposes extending Mueller's mandate at FBI helm - May 13, 2011
- Americans express solidarity with India after Mumbai attacks - Nov 29, 2008
Tags: america india, armed services committee, attorney general texas, bexar county, border security, budget committees, condolences, critical importance, india caucus, india relationship, indian ambassador, innocent lives, john cornyn, judiciary committee, mutual commitment, ronen sen, security subcommittee, supreme court justice, texas attorney general, texas supreme court